T-4 Turbo experts, have a couple ???

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
#1- OK, i bought a turbo that was supposed to be a rebuilt T-66 ball bearing, but i got it and checked specs and its a Turbonetics T-61. It is still a steal for the money so i wanna keep it. The rotating assy is clearly new or rebuilt. I want to know if you can tell the difference between ball bearing and non bb CHRA. The difference in this comparing to others i have is a hole down inside the oil drain (see pic) that looks like a stainless bearing race. Its not the shaft. Does any one know?? I know BB come with and without water cooling, any pics i have seen off bb i cant see a difference, but my non bb don't have the hole. It does not have water cooling.

#2- Where can i get a t4 to t4 adpter at an angle so i can keep my hks long runner, divided would be great, like ~ 2" height at top and 2.5 on the bottom. The compressor housing hits the strut tower now?

Thanks!!!

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_0410.JPG
    IMG_0410.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 35

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
the ceramic bb do not have water lines. and really the only way to tell for sure that i know of is to take it apart. but then you have to get it rebalanced and all that jazz. usually if it is bb when you spin the comp wheel it will keep spinning for a few seconds. but that's not very scientific haha.

about the turbo clearance, you dont need an angle spacer unless you just want it to position the turbo differently. we just set up one on my bud's car w/ the hks long runner and same comp housing you have w/ just a straight spacer.

tn_christurboside.JPG

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i want to say its a 5/8". the shop i sell for prob has it in stock, i'll check for you. i believe they are around $15-20. if you are in a super big hurry i could have them drop ship it but it will prob cost as much as the spacer. but they are in northern indiana so youd get it quick.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Thanks...lmk.... i still want to know about the hole inside the oil drain if anyone out there know, i think if it was not BB, you would see brass??

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
I do have the spacer in stock. IIRC they are 3/8" mild steel, non devided.

Also, that is a HYBRID ball bearing Turbonetics turbo. It uses a one way thrust-angular contact bearing up front and the standard bronze bearing in the rear.

Basically, its a big shaft to4s with a bearing up front. Great turbo for the price....

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Bummer, the spacer wont work , it still hits the compressor, i need an angle. I will post a pic of the housing tonight. It must be an old school housing, if i grind the humps off it might fit, but too close, it will prob hit when i get on it.