Suspension Techniques

I.R.

Nov 22, 2006
St. Paul
I want to get some sway bars for the front and rear. I was looking at a set of sway bars made by Suspension Techniques and I'm curious how great are these sway bars? Anyone have these set of sway bars on their supras? Is it good quality or bad?

IR

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
good quality!!

when people dont want coilovers, they usually go for the spring/sturt and suspension tech. sway car kit.

plenty of ppl have it here and im sure they all love it.
i plan on getting some myself.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
I have them with the springs, smooth and quiet. HKS tems, Perfect for my needs. I don't have a race car, just a well handling whale.

buckshotglass

I love all your sounds.
I love this thread already. If anyone was willing to humor the lazy, and post any links to great prices on these bars, I would be your best friend! ;)

To those that already have them, does the rear bar have the same contour as the stock one inbetween the mounts that hold it to the subframe? Thanks loads.:icon_bigg

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
buckshotglass said:
I love this thread already. If anyone was willing to humor the lazy, and post any links to great prices on these bars, I would be your best friend! ;)

To those that already have them, does the rear bar have the same contour as the stock one inbetween the mounts that hold it to the subframe? Thanks loads.:icon_bigg

i think they do from what i hear...
the rears are a little harder to put on.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Got em from summit racing, all poly bushings, love em, Had a shop put em on, but you will see opinions on them that swing from one end to the other, some will even say no bars is mo betta, but hey mine work incredible with the tires I have, stocks TEMS, and they do exactly what I need them to do, thats why I love em, I need my car flat, then me, the throttle, and the tires will do the rest.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I have the Bilstein/Eibach combo with these sway bars. I love the setup. Just make sure to adjust the rear sway bar stiff. The stiffer the rear the better... to a point.

I.R.

Nov 22, 2006
St. Paul
so adjust the rear stiffer? ok... I'll look into that.. Because I like to do a lot of auto crossing *time attack* so I like my supra to enter a corner and exit a corner with less body roll and better handling. I also want to get some struts too but I'm not sure what is best to choose. I was looking at some KONI yellows. Tokico looks nice but I heard their pretty bad and don't last that long. ???

IR

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Be aware that more than one of the plastic swaybar end links have snapped on the stiffer setting ;)

90SupraMike

Aug 1, 2006
Van Nuys, CA
i love ST products ive had them on a couple of my cars and now i got there sway bars on my supra. im not too fond of there new color thoguh but you dont really see them anyways. i got mine from summit for like $250 shipped

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
I.R. said:
so adjust the rear stiffer? ok... I'll look into that.. Because I like to do a lot of auto crossing *time attack* so I like my supra to enter a corner and exit a corner with less body roll and better handling. I also want to get some struts too but I'm not sure what is best to choose. I was looking at some KONI yellows. Tokico looks nice but I heard their pretty bad and don't last that long. ???

IR
yea tokico prone to break, but have a lifetime warrenty.
try blistein shocks from what ive heard they are superior to the other shocks, but i was also looking into koni yellow.
i dunno do some reseach to figure out what u want.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I have driven many different MKIIIs with different suspension setups. Mine is my favorite. Also, two years ago I replace all of my sway bar links with new ones directly from Toyota. I got steel links in the rear and plastic up front... Also, watch out for the rear nuts on the links loosening up. Had it happen to me twice. Ended up putting on some blue loc-tite.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It's not a bad idea to reinforce the mounting taps in addition to metal links. I've seen the tabs break off too ;)

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I also have seen the mounting tabs break. However not on my car... The best idea would be to simply lengthen, and thick the tabs by welding in more metal if you get what I mean.

jdmk3_87t

Take it!
Apr 29, 2005
SoCaL
Is it required to have buy endlinks when you buy swaybars either ST or Tanabe? I'm kind of worried to buy swaybars and then have the endlinks snap.

How much are brand new endlinks from Toyota?

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
After reading more on this topic I saw the talk about plastic end links so I went out and looked and I dont see anything plastic on mine but a shop installed them and maybe they used the stock end links. I have mine set on the softer setting with all poly bushings, maybe i'll give the stiffer setting a try and see what its like.

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
With the ST sway bars, I would personally go with the softer of the two settings in the rear. Here's why: You're already putting in a thicker, stiffer sway bar in the back, which increases rear stiffness as it is. Hopefully you will install the front ST sway bar. The car will have a fairly decent amount of oversteer with this combo, and be fun to drive. Using the stiffer setting, you make the rear stiffer still, and go driving on the street. Don't be surprised if that car kicks the rear around unexpectedly, too fast for you to catch it. You may have a rough day. I suggest starting out with the softer sway bar setting (at the rear), drive it for a long while, and see how you like it. Chances are good you'll be happy with it.
As for the links and the mounting tabs breaking, it's never happened to me, but i hear it happens when using soft coil springs and or soft dampers. Maybe if the car is going to get tracked a lot, the tabs and links need to be reinforced.