Supra Sucessor Confirmed! Read here:

IanC

Jul 13, 2012
Maryville, TN
Supra's were never cheap cars. I got bored one day and adjusted the 1988 MSRP for a turbo Supra for inflation and it came out to something like $59K. I would be surprised if this MkV would priced within reach if the average MkIII owner.
You can pretty much bank on it not using an I6 engine. V6? V8? Who knows. They'd be silly not to offer a forced induction option because that's what you think of when you think Supra.

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
Well I'm not going to speculate too much. I just hope they surprise me with whatever the engineers come up with. I will just be sure to have the funds ready when it gets here.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
MkIII FTW;1892709 said:
Well I'm not going to speculate too much. I just hope they surprise me with whatever the engineers come up with. I will just be sure to have the funds ready when it gets here.

You have at least 3 years if they are using another platform for development. Longer if they are starting from a clean sheet of paper. Look at how long it took for the FRS. This is a long ways off and probably won't happen if the economy takes another dump.

So many possibilities at this point it is hard to say where this will go. Who would have thought the GT86 would be a joint venture with Suby and have a boxer engine. You would have gotten 1000:1 odds in Vegas on that one.

IRACEMYCOPCAR

HOLSET MAFIA HX52
Jan 27, 2008
SOUTH CAROLINA
I hope they come out with something that will be comparable to the R35 both in performance and price otherwise i think its just a giant waste of time. My biggest fear would be the New supra isnt like the New MR2 was compared to the old MR2 ( u remember that POS with 80WHP right?) what a joke that was. If thats whats to become of the supra id rather they didnt make one and tarnish the name.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IanC;1892708 said:
Supra's were never cheap cars. I got bored one day and adjusted the 1988 MSRP for a turbo Supra for inflation and it came out to something like $59K. I would be surprised if this MkV would priced within reach if the average MkIII owner.
No offense man, but the average MkIII owner can't afford a MkIII. :p

While you're at it, you should check the price of a 97/98 MkIV in current dollars. They were nearly $59k back in 1997. ;)

IRACEMYCOPCAR;1892757 said:
I hope they come out with something that will be comparable to the R35 both in performance and price otherwise i think its just a giant waste of time.
Two things... I can appreciate the R35 for its physics-defying (by most sensible understandings of physics anyway) performance, but if the new Supra ends up the size of an SUV, it would make me sick.

My biggest fear would be the New supra isnt like the New MR2 was compared to the old MR2 ( u remember that POS with 80WHP right?) what a joke that was. If thats whats to become of the supra id rather they didnt make one and tarnish the name.
Never driven an MR-S I see. They were ~1900 lbs... one doesn't need much power in cars like that. Given that the MR-S made 65% of the power of the turbo SW20 MR2, yet weighed only 70% as much, the scale is there. From a handling perspective (the main reason you'd buy a mid-engined car), it was an improvement overall.

Hell, if it upsets you that much, put a supercharger or turbo on the 1zz, bump that up to 200hp and see who comes out ahead. Alternatively, swap in a 2zz, and build yourself a $12k Elise. ;)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I'm hoping for a $60-80k pricetag. Anything short of that and I'd be surprised if it's going to be good enough that I'd actually try to buy it.

Unless I get a huge break in my work life in the next 5 years, I'd be looking in the "nearly new" market and not the showroom floor.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
The market adjusted price is 84k for what a '98 JZA80 would cost today.. so, I'd expect every bit of that price, especially considering how the price of the R35 continually rises (96k now compared to the original 75k).

I love the skeptics in this thread, and oddly enough because I am usually highly skeptical, but given Toyota's recent projects and their success rate I took this as an important event. Is there a chance this car will not be made? Absolutely. However, if the current trend continues (and let's face it, the economy is still not good) the car is still set to start development.

That being said, this car is going to be out of reach for most in much the same way the A70/JZA80 were when they were released. I posted this because I love cars and the engineering that goes into them; I can't afford the LF-A, and it has some interesting drawbacks, but it's still my favorite car. Will I be able to afford the JZA90 (lol)? No. I'd probably have to wait a number of years and buy one used.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I hope they come out with something that will be comparable to the R35 both in performance and price otherwise i think its just a giant waste of time. My biggest fear would be the New supra isnt like the New MR2 was compared to the old MR2 ( u remember that POS with 80WHP right?) what a joke that was. If thats whats to become of the supra id rather they didnt make one and tarnish the name.

Dunno what you're talking about an MR2 with 80WHP...

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Well, I now kinda find it difficult to see a car like the Supra coming back to the US via Toyota. I don't think scion would pick up a car that expensive so I just don't see it happening here.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Chambers;1893116 said:
Well, I now kinda find it difficult to see a car like the Supra coming back to the US via Toyota. I don't think scion would pick up a car that expensive so I just don't see it happening here.

If you haven't noticed they're trying to change the Scion brand...

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I'd bet on it being Toyota.. The 86 was slated to be a Toyota stateside, but Scion needed a new edge and something to up sales. It still remains their young, entry-level brand though..

Now that has occurred, you have Toyota/Lexus, with Toyota being the one that needs a new halo car. Lexus already has the IS-F, LF-A, and LF-LC (Soarer replacement).

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Dylan JZ;1893140 said:
I'd bet on it being Toyota.. The 86 was slated to be a Toyota stateside, but Scion needed a new edge and something to up sales. It still remains their young, entry-level brand though..

Now that has occurred, you have Toyota/Lexus, with Toyota being the one that needs a new halo car. Lexus already has the IS-F, LF-A, and LF-LC (Soarer replacement).

God, I hope you're right. It wouldn't be the same unless it was a true yota.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Well, unfortunately very few details are solid at this point aside from development starting.. like others have said, this is ~5 years out minimum before we even see a concept model.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
AbsoluteSpeed;1893125 said:
If it does happen I hope to see an aluminum I6 turbo motor or a high reving 3.5L V8.
As do I, but small displacement, high cylinder engines tend to not meet current emissions regulations. Need torque anymore...

Not to take this too far into political territory, but the CAFE regulations that are being proposed would make a car like this unfeasible, to say the least.

As for the car itself, even though I probably could afford a 70-80k car, after pricing out a 2013 Corvette GS, with all the go-fast options and none of the fluff (just how I like 'em), I got to thinking: A car that expensive would be DESTROYED by anything I would build for half the price. Plus, I like to tinker. Tinkering on cars that expensive tends to be doubly expensive, given that there isn't always a ready aftermarket for them, and the "works on every engine/car" tricks only take you so far.

For the price of a new Supra, the things I could do to a C6 Corvette, an NSX, an FR-S, a MkIV Supra... hell, that's even putting you into used Ferarri territory guys.

Now, ALL that aside, I still want them to do it. The same way I want Nissan to revive the Silvia name with an FR-S/BRZ competitor, Mazda to revive the RX7, Mitsubishi to stop sucking, so on, and so forth.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Here is one Supra I'd like to own:Toyota_Supra_HV-R_02[1].jpg... The Supra HV-R, jointly developed by Toyota and SARD.
Here is more from Wikipedia; "The Supra HV-R is a hybrid race car based on the Super GT Supra jointly developed by Toyota and Toyota Team SARD. The four-wheel drive HV-R combines a 4.5 L V8 (480 hp) from its Super GT UZ-FE engine, a rear-axle-mounted electric motor (200 hp), and two front in-wheel electric motors (13 hp each) to generate over 700 hp (520 kW). The car weighs 2,380 lb.[23]

The Denso SARD Supra HV-R became the first hybrid race car in history to win a race when Toyota Team SARD took first place in the Tokachi 24-hour, a Super Taikyu race, on July 16, 2007. The car completed 616 laps, 19 laps ahead of the second-place finisher.[24]"
Van

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Van, I remember that car... was pretty sweet actually. If nothing else, it was eerie, hearing it "hum" it's way at slow speeds, and suddenly try to rip your face off with v8 noises after the corner...

Makes me wonder though, 13hp electrical motors in each front wheel? If not for moving the car in the pits, then what were those for? Post race margaritas? :dunno: