Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'll read the article, but I get the feeling I've read this same thing about 12 times in as many years... not holding my breath.

Then again, I didn't think GM would have the balls to make the Solstice, I didn't think Chrysler would have the balls to make the Crossfire (even if it was a *bit* different than the v8 powered concept), I didn't think Toyota would have the balls to make the FR-S, so... I've been wrong before. Let's hope I'm wrong again. :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Dylan JZ;1891512 said:
Trust me on this.. I won't say what I know aside from what's said here, but Toyota is definitely on our wavelength.
A proper successor to the MkIV? And by proper, I mean an aluminum block I6 (I'd settle for a v8, but an I6 would be more "Supra"), turbocharged, rear-drive, lightweight (no more batteries than it takes to start the car dammit), that wavelength you mean?

I've seen this same thing on a few different sites now, could be interesting if Akio really pushes for this... :)

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Dylan JZ;1891512 said:
Trust me on this.. I won't say what I know aside from what's said here, but Toyota is definitely on our wavelength.

Sorry, but I believe they are very much NOT on our wave length. Or at least Tetsuya Tada, the man tasked with designing the next Supra is not. He has been known to be very against forced induction, and has on more than one occasion illustrated his particular dislike of turbochargers(calling the idea of using them to get higher horsepower numbers, tasteless in this day and age). As for myself, a Supra without a turbo just isn't a Supra(apologies to the NA guys, but if the model line up doesn't carry at least one turbo variant, the whole lineup shouldn't carry the Supra name). Celica would be fine though.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
The original 86/Trueno was not a turbo car. Tada is against turbocharging at least in the sense that many wanted the FR-S/86/BRZ to come with forced induction for higher numbers, but he wanted it to remain N/A like the original. He was also against using the Subaru motor and components as he detailed in a particular interview, however both companies told the engineers they did not have a choice due to the constraints brought on by the GFC. Whether he is against it overall is another matter, and being that I do not have knowledge of this I cannot comment, but the fact that Supras have been known for their use of forced induction would likely make him reconsider that conflicting viewpoint. Then again, where does it say the Supra is coming back? It says Supra 'successor.' Sad as it may be, all this means is that the niche covered in the past by that particular platform will be fulfilled by something similar.

The proposed motors that those close to this are discussing are between a V6 twin-turbo or a UR series V8 (no details whether N/A or turbo). Nothing else has really been discussed from what I'm told.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
You make good points. It's more or less the inclusion of Tetsuya Tada as a lead(unavoidable I know) that bothers me. I agree less and less with him every time he does an interview. Perhaps it is my American sensibilities concerning car design philosophy coming through, but I don't believe Tetsuya Tada is the man for the Job. He did well on the GT-86 because his ideals align very closely with what the AE86 was. The Supra was not that kind of car. Can he understand that?

As far a particular niches go the Supra was intended to be a showcase for the company's technological prowess. In that case the LFA already occupies that spiritual role.

Time will tell, and while I do believe something will come from Toyota, my hopes are not high at the moment that they can create something that will be able to occupy the same place in my heart the the Supra resides. Will it be a successor?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
IBoughtASupra;1892430 said:
A 21st Century JZ. Done.

You mean M engine :) M motor was first and longest in the Supra lineage so it's only fair :p

But honestly we might see another boxer motor, or a V6/V8

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Dirgle;1892426 said:
You make good points. It's more or less the inclusion of Tetsuya Tada as a lead(unavoidable I know) that bothers me. I agree less and less with him every time he does an interview. Perhaps it is my American sensibilities concerning car design philosophy coming through, but I don't believe Tetsuya Tada is the man for the Job. He did well on the GT-86 because his ideals align very closely with what the AE86 was. The Supra was not that kind of car. Can he understand that?

As far a particular niches go the Supra was intended to be a showcase for the company's technological prowess. In that case the LFA already occupies that spiritual role.

Time will tell, and while I do believe something will come from Toyota, my hopes are not high at the moment that they can create something that will be able to occupy the same place in my heart the the Supra resides. Will it be a successor?

there are valid points there as well.. perhaps Tada should not be the lead, but it should instead be left to the man that helped design the A70/A80, Chaser, and IS-F: Yukihiko Yaguchi, a man with no issues N/A or forced inducted.

I tend to agree with the LF-A comment too, but the issue on that front is that it took them so long and they spent so much money that the board only approved it for publicity at an insane cost. The IS-F on the other hand is the one I'd argue is more of a successor based on price and general design philosophies, yet it was severely limited funding wise and had to incorporate too many compromises to be considered a true cutting-edge achievement.

Thus, Toyota needs a fresh go at this whole thing IMO. It seems as though they agree haha.

IBoughtASupra;1892430 said:
A 21st Century JZ. Done.

Poodles;1892432 said:
You mean M engine :) M motor was first and longest in the Supra lineage so it's only fair :p

But honestly we might see another boxer motor, or a V6/V8

I would be really shocked if the new motor had anything to do with an inline 6, but perhaps they would just call it the JZM :)

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Here's the original article auto guide used as a source. Tada goes on about how the FRS wasn't built for pure speed but for driving pleasure inspired by the AE86 Levin. He also goes on about how they need to go back to their roots for the forthcoming cars to be as successful; hopefully that means they will do the same for the Supra.

http://www.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/Story/A1Story20121101-380919.html

Last edited:

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Poodles;1892438 said:
I thought Yukihiko Yaguchi died? I know it was someone that worked on the Supras and the IS-F that died...

the chief engineer/chief test driver of the LF-A project was Hiromu Naruse, and yeah he worked on so many Toyota projects.. that was truly a sad day.

1988ma70supra;1892437 said:
Here's the original article auto guide used as a source. Tada goes on about how the FRS wasn't built for pure speed but for driving pleasure inspired by the AE86 Levin. He also goes on about how they need to go back to their roots for the forthcoming cars to be as successful; hopefully that means they will do the same for the Supra.

http://www.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/Story/A1Story20121101-380919.html

I actually meant to post that link, not the AutoGuide one because it adds a lot more information.. They were both posted on my car culture page, but apparently I copied the wrong one.

Anyhow, thanks for bringing that up. I'll add it to the first post.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
unfortunately today's cars are designed to appease the wind tunnels and ever stricter crash tests and as such, many style points are lost/forgotten...

consider the pedestrian safety rules whereby the engine cannot be within 4"(?) of the backside of the hood...

http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web...-a2e3-39192518cf50/pedestrian-protection.aspx

I cannot find specific reference on the interweb, but IIRC its on the list of this decades advancements.....

EDIT: here is a NHTSA / GM paper that I didn't completely read; circa 2009(?)

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv21/09-0356.pdf

personally I like the metal dashboards of the 40's/50's and their inherent danger....

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Look, we all know it's going to be a 3.5L from an IS350 tuned to maybe 320 hp, no forced induction. Hell the car might even be built on a shortened 2 door IS350 chassis. There will be no manual, just "flappy paddles" and it'll have the option of a convertible (easy because once again, it'll probably be an IS chassis and those already come convertible).

Prove me wrong folks.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Dylan JZ;1892434 said:
I would be really shocked if the new motor had anything to do with an inline 6, but perhaps they would just call it the JZM :)
JZM? That would be as bad as GM going and re-using the LT designation for the new Corvette motor, for the forty-second time. :p

#04;1892671 said:
personally I like the metal dashboards of the 40's/50's and their inherent danger....
They were good incentive to not crash. ;)

RazoE;1892697 said:
Look, we all know it's going to be a 3.5L from an IS350 tuned to maybe 320 hp, no forced induction. Hell the car might even be built on a shortened 2 door IS350 chassis. There will be no manual, just "flappy paddles" and it'll have the option of a convertible (easy because once again, it'll probably be an IS chassis and those already come convertible).

Prove me wrong folks.
I hope you're wrong, but only because the IS platform in its current iteration is already 7 years old now. Otherwise, I approve your deflating our hopes and dreams. :rofl:

Seriously though, wouldn't be hard to make a proper Supra successor, but it would take some real desire within the higher ups in Toyota to make it happen. One more thing guys...

...it would cost at least $70,000 USD. You guys ok with that? Cool as it might end up being if they do it, I can think of a lot of badass cars that can be had by someone with that sort of disposable income...