Supra Sucessor Confirmed! Read here:

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
te72;1895858 said:
Makes me wonder though, 13hp electrical motors in each front wheel? If not for moving the car in the pits, then what were those for? Post race margaritas? :dunno:
Most likely to support the regenerative breaking system, the Supra HV-R used a capsitor based regenerative braking system. And in a hybrid system an electric motor fills both roles of motor/generator. Not to mention 13 hp is a bit deceptive for an electric motor because the torque grows massive the lower the RPM, so I'm sure it provides a significant boost coming out of low speed corners. For example, the Prius Electric motor produces only 44hp but generates 258lb./ft. from 0-400rpm

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
just watch a few youtube videos of it going around the track.. if it doesn't become obvious why the electric motors are there after that, well :)

that eerie quiet is full of torque as Dirgle said, then the V8 kicks in and finishes the job.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Dirgle;1895872 said:
Most likely to support the regenerative breaking system, the Supra HV-R used a capsitor based regenerative braking system. And in a hybrid system an electric motor fills both roles of motor/generator. Not to mention 13 hp is a bit deceptive for an electric motor because the torque grows massive the lower the RPM, so I'm sure it provides a significant boost coming out of low speed corners. For example, the Prius Electric motor produces only 44hp but generates 258lb./ft. from 0-400rpm
Reminds me of the time Wes told the story of him working on a Prius that was in a diagnostic mode for whatever reason. Said that thing did the meanest, most unexpected (not to mention quietest) burnout you had ever seen. This coming from him was worth noting. ;)

I didn't realize they made quite that much torque for the size though... knew it was near instant, but not that much. Color me impressed.

Dylan JZ;1895877 said:
just watch a few youtube videos of it going around the track.. if it doesn't become obvious why the electric motors are there after that, well :)

that eerie quiet is full of torque as Dirgle said, then the V8 kicks in and finishes the job.
Race cars always seem quick/fast though. Kinda a side effect of having no compromises.

This discussion on the HV-R has me excited to see what Porsche will accomplish with the 918...