Supra Seats Suck

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I used to work for Volvo. They are renowned by most people as having THE most comfortable seats. The Supra seat is the only one I have sat in that is even close to the newer Volvo seats for comfort - and it's right on par with them. I think they're great!

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
AJ'S 88NA said:
Do you have the lumbar support, AKA knee in the back.my son's caddy leathers. I use to make long trips 18-20hrs and no complaints.

I do have the lumbar supports, and it does feel like a knee in the back.

Look, they're not the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in, but despite the overwhelming positive feedback on them, I gotta be honest, I still don't think they're that great.

csnow mentioned that he likes Recaros alot better and I whole-heartedly agree.

Also someone mentioned putting memory foam in them, I think that is an awesome idea!

My main problem with them is that my lower back gets sore on long drives (and no, I don't have any back problems). You don't really feel like your sitting in them as much as on them.

Thanks to every-one who voted for me being a freak or messed up...I appreciate you guys keeping my ego in check.

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
despite the weight the mk3 seats are comfy and free and nothing can replace them at a fair price. for a while i was debating on if i should take my nismo racing seats from my max and put it in my 87 turbo because they are knew and feels softer but i just cant . i THINK THAT IF THE CUSHION IS SOFT the person that sit on it will feel instant relaxation but on long trips it will hurt your tailbone like the way a soft bed hurts your back. on the other hand the mk3 seats hugs your body and have full adjustability. i had never felt back pain after a long drive in them

st2b

Banned
Sep 15, 2006
Versailles (Lex) Ky
www.myspace.com
I have a slightly curved spine, and I see nothing wrong with the MkIII seats. I've sat in the drivers seat for quite a while when I first got the car, it has what.. 9 different settings? there are so many settings it's crazy. I would give it a 10-10 for a 1987.

One things is a fact

Toyota took time designing these seats, and I wouldn't be caught dead driving without them...

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
csnow said:
Hey those were my old seats...that werent that uncomfy :slap:

But I like the Recaros a lot better.
they were.. they sat high and didn't seem to sit very far back.. no idea... but helped me not miss the car after i sold it.. just over to orlando i was tired of sitting in them..

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
suprabad: lumbar isn't very comfortable at first, it takes some getting used to

if you're used to a car without lumbar support, the supra will take a while to get used to, and they it will help on long trips. kinda like the soft matress vs firm supportive one...

The only seats I've sat in that feel more like I'm IN them are racing seats, everything else I feel like I'm sitting ON them and I move around too much...

I have a hunch you sit with the seat tilted back too far and it pushes the lumber into your mid back instead of your lower back, take a pic of how you usually sit and I bet that's the issue...

Clied

Wangan Supra
Jun 8, 2006
NorCal
Mark 3 seats are comfortable, most people that ride in my car compliment on how comfy they are. The only drawback to these seats is that there heavy, thats why I'm getting Bride BRIX racing seats!

Last edited:

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
I can't imagine getting rid of the stock seats for an over priced piece of plywood. I think the mk3 seats are very comfortable, but I do think that the cloths are more so than the leathers.

George

oct86
Feb 18, 2007
Brown County
I don't get it. I can't get comphy is those seats no matter how many gizmos it has. What is it you like about them? The simulated knee in the back? the auto groper? How about the crammed into the dashboard fit? Without the steering wheel release id never be able to get in the thing. Though, not nearly as bad as the celicas. All I want is the seat to go down about two inches. I think to really fit in the supra you would have to be 5 foot tall with both 3 foot long arms and legs. I’m not really bent out of shape over it though. The sides are really nice in sharp 90's or 180's

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
I love my stock seats, my drivers seat is tatty (leather) but its so soft and comfy. I regularly do 4 - 5 hour trips in my supra and get out at the end of the trip still feeling fresh.

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
dugums said:
I used to work for Volvo. They are renowned by most people as having THE most comfortable seats. The Supra seat is the only one I have sat in that is even close to the newer Volvo seats for comfort - and it's right on par with them. I think they're great!

Volvo seats are nice as well. I LOVE my seats. i've always loved them since my old supra. they are one of the best seats i've ever sat in. i used to drive from san diego to L.A. and back every other weekend. No problems with comfort at all!

just this weekend, i sat in my mother's '01 4Runner seats, and wow, they were REALLY comfortable. i thought a little bit, how har would it be to fit these seats into the Supra? i might get some new front seats as mine are torn, hence the seat covers. i have burgandy leather.

novaboy009

Aug 13, 2007
Pittsburgh
My brother has an '08 Subie wagon. He jumps in my Supra and says "wtf, my 25k brand new car has seats that don't hold a candle to your 80's junkmobile."

Side note: My family doesn't understand the soft spot in my heart for 80's ricemobiles.

Kev

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
George said:
I don't get it. I can't get comphy is those seats no matter how many gizmos it has. What is it you like about them? The simulated knee in the back? the auto groper? How about the crammed into the dashboard fit? Without the steering wheel release id never be able to get in the thing. Though, not nearly as bad as the celicas. All I want is the seat to go down about two inches. I think to really fit in the supra you would have to be 5 foot tall with both 3 foot long arms and legs. I’m not really bent out of shape over it though. The sides are really nice in sharp 90's or 180's

lemme guess, you like to lean way back?

sit in the seats like you would if you where racing (close enough that you do not extend your leg all the way to push the clutch in, seat back up high enough that you can put your shoulder on the back and put your wrist on the steering wheel)

It feels odd to most people to sit like that, but that's a performance seating position and will allow you to drive the best and it's quite comfortable on long drives (I sit like this daily, and yes I use the tilt steering wheel to get out quite often)

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Poodles said:
suprabad: I have a hunch you sit with the seat tilted back too far and it pushes the lumber into your mid back instead of your lower back, take a pic of how you usually sit and I bet that's the issue...

I'm gonna check that out, you might be right.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I notice if I try to get in that "relaxed" laidback position in these seats it just doesn't work at all...

save that for the guys in the civics that sit back far enough to look out the back window...

Mr. Sinister

Aug 30, 2005
Chicago
Poodles said:
sit in the seats like you would if you where racing (close enough that you do not extend your leg all the way to push the clutch in, seat back up high enough that you can put your shoulder on the back and put your wrist on the steering wheel)

That's how I always sit. I don't know how people could stand it any other way.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
chedderknight said:
there so comfy for me that i take regular naps in them during my breaks on campus, there so comfy on long trips my girlfriend takes a nap as to opposed to my old 240 she'd complain about her back hurting, my only gripe is that my seats are getting old and worn, time to get them redone

agreed..

man, my S13 240 used to fuck my back up...

now I bask in the luxury that is the MKIII Supra seat....:D