Super Monitor Oil Change Interval

landtoy80

Jul 16, 2007
grand junction, CO
Does the super monitor use a set amount of miles for an oil change interval or does it take in driving conditions to calculate next change.
If it does take in driving conditions, does it work and should it be followed?

landtoy80

Jul 16, 2007
grand junction, CO
My 91Toyota Previa had a oil change light. It used driving conditions to calculate the the time it was as due for an oil change.
In the manual it said it was there for a reference to let you know you "should" of changed your oil. I think Toyota put that in the manual as a cop-out just encase the technology didn't work out.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
nosechunks said:
Yea even the ones in new toyotas im pretty sure are just a set amount of miles.

The ones in new Honda's are driving condition based. I don't see why new Toyotas wouldn't be.

As far as your Surpa though, i'm not sure.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
I was searching and wanted to bring this topic up.

It was my understanding that the root of the whole Super Monitor is it monitors injector pulse width, (and maybe something else? I'm no expert) to calculate MPG and gas used and all the good crap that comes with the Super Monitor.

Here's my real world experience testing the oil change interval-

In my experience with the super monitor, the oil change interval is driving conditions based, to an extent. I've seen my oil change interval go down 4 hundred miles, immediately after driving hard for an extended period of time, just to have it come back up 300 miles with grandma driving for the rest of the day. That was just one day that I actually looked at the super monitor. It's such a PITA to cycle through all of those damn options, half the time I say screw it!!

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
The new toyotas service request light comes on every 5k miles. Supra monitor, im not sure though, i would think it would come on every 3k.

Dracov

Base model n00b
Oct 21, 2006
Broomfield, CO
My supermonitor resets to 10,000 miles and recalculates based on driving conditions. The lower the value gets, the less variance it shows when it updates. Total miles between reset and when it hits 0 varies between 5 and 6000 miles depending.