Stumped, Engine starts then dies after a few seconds

Jonasguy

Jan 17, 2017
WA - Washington
My cps is good. I've got spark on 4 wires (3-4,2-5), I thought it could have been the connector so I put a different one on that a knew worked and still no spark, so dead coil pack

Jonasguy

Jan 17, 2017
WA - Washington
Yup I've got a big big problem, I checked compression and cylinder 1-5 was 147psi, number 6 though was 0 completely 0 and I checked 3 times just in case maybe I put the tester on wrong, took off the intake and oil pools in every runner

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
0 sounds like something was not connected at the tester right or kinda rare but that piston might not be moving for some odd reason. Take out the spark plug and see if you crank if over a second or two, do you get a few puffs of air coming out? Swimming pools of oil is not uncommon down there but you better check those bolts on the valve covers to make sure they are not loose as they probably are and inspect the valve cover gaskets.

Jonasguy

Jan 17, 2017
WA - Washington
The test uses real compression like it screws into the sparkplug hole then you crank the engine and it test the compression so I don't know how I could have gotten wrong on the last cylinder but not the other 5 and for the puffs of air. I think because I can hear it but it might also be the cylinders. Some of the screws on the valve covers were like super loose so maybe?

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Try a leak down test?
Might be able to see where the cylinders are leaking if they in fact are.

Air coming out exhaust, exhaust valve seats suspect.
Air coming out intake, intake valve seats suspect.
Air going into the crankcase, shot rings, or piston ringlands.
Coolant moving into the overflow, blown headgasket.
Your engine oil milky at all?

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Might want to check the condition of the rings / piston ringlands first before spending the time to swap it out.

Could end up with the same issues if they are trashed, with the replacement head.

Jonasguy

Jan 17, 2017
WA - Washington
I did a leak down test and no air anywhere, I think maybe the tester broke or something because when I took off the compressor hose it blew back tons of air

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
You should re-test your compression on all cylinders with a known good compression tester.

Verify your test equipment works before diagnosing engine issues with it.

Jonasguy

Jan 17, 2017
WA - Washington
So we put everything back together my harness was destroyed and I fixed it and tell me why my intake that wasn't bolted up it just had the hose that goes from the fuel rail to the intake caught fire, like it literally caught fire

Jonasguy

Jan 17, 2017
WA - Washington
I'm beyond confused with this car now, I got a new CPS that I tested on a working 7m and saw it work, I also got a new igniter that I saw work, I tested compression again and its good, I checked for fuel and it's good for sure, but my coils only spark 2 wires, and all of the coils and wires are new and working. And my intake is still smoking from the fuel rail