Stumped, Engine starts then dies after a few seconds

Jonasguy

Jan 17, 2017
WA - Washington
So guys, my car turns on for a few seconds then dies, i checked timing, put new spark plugs and wires in, made sure fuel was getting to all cylinders. Now I know you're all gonna say check for the codes, yeah that's the problem none of my dash gauges work, my CEL isn't flashing when I short E1 to T, but some of the lights on my cluster are working like the battery light, door light, and clock, I also put in a new fuse for the dash and still nothing, my only guess is the ecu being bad but I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Was the Supra running good before your issue now? If not what work was recently done? Is your fuses under the hood good like the EFI fuse?

Jonasguy

Jan 17, 2017
WA - Washington
No the car was never running, it's a gte swap in an N/A chassis, the motor was rebuilt and had 5000 miles on it before I got it. And I checked the fuses under the hood and they look brand new

Jonasguy

Jan 17, 2017
WA - Washington
So I figured out my gauge problem it was stupid fuses, got those replaced and now it works, I'm getting code 12, I know what it is but how do I fix it?

Jonasguy

Jan 17, 2017
WA - Washington
So I'm pretty positive I know the problem now, my car and engine with the harness is all pre 89 stuff, well my cps and igniter are post 89, do any of you have the pinout for the post 89 cps and igniter so I can re-pin my harness so it works?

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
The wiring for the cps and igniter are the same for all mk3 supra years. The only difference is the early Supras had green cps connectors and the igniter connectors were green as well but both will work with each other for all years.

Jonasguy

Jan 17, 2017
WA - Washington
I fixed code 12, I had to re pin the cps, and now I'm not showing any codes, but the car didn't crank over the first time, and now a lot of my lights are dimed(battery is dead) but it started to show code 11, will code 11 show up if the battery is dead?

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Code 11 is a momentary interruption in power supply to ECU so it may be because the battery was disconnected but double check all connections and your grounds like the 2 on the back of the lower intake manifold and your engine block and head grounds.

Sometimes code 11 is misinterpreted as a normal condition as it is just a consistent blinking of the engine light. Do you have any long pauses between your code 11?

Jonasguy

Jan 17, 2017
WA - Washington
Okay still doesn't run, but I don't think I'm getting spark on all of the cylinders, I think the coils are bad, I tested fuel but shorting b+ to fb and heard fuel go into the Rail then I grounded the injectors and saw fuel in the cylinders so fuel is not the problem, I've done the timing like 30 times already and did it again, I checked the cps a bunch and it's good I tested the ignitor and the wires that go from the ignitor to the coils and they're showing continuity when cranking. I took a timing light and when I tested it the light never came on, on any of the wires and I thought maybe the light was bad but I tested it on a running car and it worked. Also the car just cranks now instead of running and dying. I think I'm gonna try spark by pulling out the spark plug with the wire and crank it to see if there is spark. P.s. it's brand new wires

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
When you say you repined the CPS you should not have to as the 87-92 CPS just plug in to the engine harness like it should. Just a color change from a green to gray connector is the difference but both plug right up. Is it wired up properly?

When you crank over the Supra do you see the RPM's move on the dash?
Is your coil pack grounded properly with the single ground wire coming off the coil pack attached to the stud near the fuel rail?

You can also check for resistance in the coils to see if they are out of spec but if all 3 are not firing then its probably not getting the proper CPS signal.

Jonasguy

Jan 17, 2017
WA - Washington
On the tsrm and tewd it shows a different pin location on cps but I got them correct, the rpms move when I crank, yes the coil pack is grounded to the head, and I can seem to figure out how to check the resistance on the coils, do you check the coils with the connectors in them or no?