Stock VS. 3" Exhaust Difference?

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
jdemara;1287529 said:
oh man! all you guys telling me this is making me anxious!
definitely getting this done asap! :D

hey bud, 3inch is the smallest i would run on any turbo vehicle unless i was replacing stock exhaust and didn't have a clue.

i noticed your in vancouver. are you in bc or wa?

if your in wa, i can be a hand to you and show you what i have done, and explain why. maybe get you a ride in rusty or my 400whp mk2 supra. mine is slipping the clutch right now but should be good in the next month w/ a new disk.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
as everyone stated... it's a large improvement over the stock exhaust... I want to say a full exhaust might add 60-70bhp... if you get a bic ddp i would suggest getting a wideband and safc... since you'll be all over fuel cut all day, and your motor will probably jump right off the mounts (that's what mine did)... even with those two tuning devices i still couldn't run the car @ 100% throttle in 4th or 5th gear... it would overboost to 15+++ psi (it was tuned to run 12 psi at the time)

Who

Supramania Contributor
Poodles;1287377 said:
Considering I shift at 2K RPM and start spooling at 1500 RPM... All because my exhaust.

Anyone that says that you'll lose bottom end torque is WRONG.

^ +1

Everyone has there own idea of a performance increase. As Poodles noted I personally like the much improved get up and go from the early spooling at the lower rpms with a 3" catback, downpipe, and elbow. The supra is a little bloated on weight and it needs that extra help at the low rpms. I started with a Apexi intake and 3" catback. Boost came up about 1.5 psi and the noise increased under the hood. Honestly I didn't like the extra howl from under the hood with the Apexi intake and my seat of pants dyno told me that I was getting better results from the stock Cold air intake. Apexi intake gone for now. The elbow and downpipe replacement really made a difference. Spool starts at 1.5k and the boost increased even with the stock catalytic converter in place.

One major plus that nobody has mentioned is the decrease in underhood temps when you remove that first cat. I swear the temps dropped by half and cool down happens in a matter of hours and not days. :biglaugh:

edmonton

Jul 2, 2008
edmonton
7MGTEsup;1287816 said:
I take it you mean 5" tip on the tail pipe? Or do you mean 5" from the turbo back :biglaugh:

hehe i meant 5" muffler with silencer :icon_razz
my friends got an old one at the shop with 3" inlet so i thought why not

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
pimptrizkit;1287826 said:
hey bud, 3inch is the smallest i would run on any turbo vehicle unless i was replacing stock exhaust and didn't have a clue.

i noticed your in vancouver. are you in bc or wa?

if your in wa, i can be a hand to you and show you what i have done, and explain why. maybe get you a ride in rusty or my 400whp mk2 supra. mine is slipping the clutch right now but should be good in the next month w/ a new disk.

I am in Vancouver, BC. :p

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
I did a GTE conversion on my old 86.5 and when I dropped the engine in, I had already put a LIPP 3" elbow and had a 3" downpipe to put on. I drove with an open DP to the muffler shop and had and full 3" exhaust put on with a hi flow cat from Exhaust Depot and a magnaflow muffler. The intake was stock and I was still getting almost 9 PSI with my auto tranny. I then sold that car :3d_frown: for my completely stock 91 GTE, also with an auto tranny.

Let me tell you, the first time I drove the 91 I was like "this is it? This is all the power it's got????" The difference was incredible. My 86.5 would smoke it. As soon as I can afford to, I'm going with a BIC DP, hi flow cat and HKS Turbo exhaust, because I like my car quiet with no drone.

Last edited:

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
whowouldfigga;1287832 said:
One major plus that nobody has mentioned is the decrease in underhood temps when you remove that first cat. I swear the temps dropped by half and cool down happens in a matter of hours and not days. :biglaugh:

Very good point and I too have noticed this!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
On a stock engine car, which I am guessing you won't stay for long, the 75mm exhaust (3in) doesn't have a big gain over the 65mm. None actually. But a 3 in, then 4 inch will get louder as you go bigger.

I don't think anybody sells a 65mm exhaust anymore anyway.

The elbow back shows about 30rwhp consistently from system to system. Taking the main cat out is about 5-6 hp. Divorced downpipes not included.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1110147&postcount=20

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
well! good news for me.. I went to my friends shop last night, and discovered he has over 50 feet of 3" stainless to make my exhaust with that I can take to my guy who is making it! Obviously don't need that much, but its free!

Now I'm getting my full exhaust done for $100 bucks labour! WOO!!

91TurboDave

Suprafile
Nov 8, 2007
Washington
Make sure you get a good turbo elbow and DP with that exhaust!

My upgrades Went as follows-#1 K&N FIPK Intake, #2 SS Down Turbo Elbow, #3 SS Downpipe, #4 SS Cat Back Exhaust with hollowed cat:sarcasm: The upgraded turbo elbow helped the ct26 spool tremendously QUIK the DP eliminated that irritating Cat and lowered EGT's and Underhood temps, Then hollowing the Cat-SEE TEST PIPE-and adding the 80mm exhaust with the Magnaflow finished the job. Best upgrades for the money spent, as my Seat Dyno tells me. Just my 2cents

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
oh wow.. got my exhaust done today. full 3" off the turbo.
what a difference! it sounds sweeeeeet! especially when the wastegate opens (stock internal one!)

however! it is really really loud .. and can get pretty annoying coming home late, trying to keep quiet!

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Poodles;1287377 said:
Considering I shift at 2K RPM and start spooling at 1500 RPM... All because my exhaust.

Anyone that says that you'll lose bottom end torque is WRONG.

You're right they're wrong! I noticed just from a down pipe only that when I took corners in my auto I now spun the tires going around a corner, and with the stock exhaust I didn't

True, story.