stock cam gear adjust-ability

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
I've really meant to mean "you meant Yamaha right?" :p I'm not sorry, that's not my bad.

BTW, Please check Toyota M Lasre Alpha-X project:
Twincam_E_A4 2010_07_25_print_Page_20.jpgTwincam_E_A4 2010_07_25_print_Page_21.jpg

Finally, from the 5M repair manual:
0900c15280081545.gif

If crankshaft pulley degree angle is within 5° of TDC, crankshaft pulley degree angle is correct. If crankshaft pulley degree angle exceeds 5° of
TDC, note the following:

a. Using tool number 09278-54011 or equivalent to prevent camshaft sprockets from turning, remove camshaft sprocket bolt.
b. Ensure No. 2 camshaft journal housing and No. 2 camshaft journal holes align, Fig. 110.
c. Using a suitable magnet, remove alignment pin from camshaft sprocket pin hole.
d. Set No. 1 piston to TDC of compression stroke, then insert alignment pin through camshaft sprocket and into camshaft. There are alignment pin holes on the sprockets and camshafts. Select one overlapped alignment hole and insert pin into it, Fig. 111. If there are no
overlapping alignment holes, select a hole which is nearly overlapped. Turn crankshaft slightly to overlap the alignment holes, and insert pin.
Turning the crankshaft to overlap the next available alignment holes will change crankshaft sprocket angle approximately 3°.

Conclusion, that's +/-3° adjustement overlapping camshaft and camgear holes.

That's documented:
- Toyota has thought about VVTi and ASICs back in 80's.
- Toyota has intention of adjustability of fixed cam timing, each pair of holes give +/-3°, some 5M (on Cressida) have 5 holes, other 5M/6M and 7M Supra have 3.
- Honda drew up those plans and it works quite well also! :D

Edit: for some reasons, I haven't read Bmettie post. He is right! I like his avatar (see above) haha.

Last edited:

SeeUSmile

Nov 22, 2012
Australia,Victoria,Melbourne
Rollus;2057075 said:
I've really meant to mean "you meant Yamaha right?" :p I'm not sorry, that's not my bad.

BTW, Please check Toyota M Lasre Alpha-X project:
View attachment 76896View attachment 76897

Finally, from the 5M repair manual:
View attachment 76898

Conclusion, that's +/-3° adjustement overlapping camshaft and camgear holes.

That's documented:
- Toyota has thought about VVTi and ASICs back in 80's.
- Toyota has intention of adjustability of fixed cam timing, each pair of holes give +/-3°, some 5M (on Cressida) have 5 holes, other 5M/6M and 7M Supra have 3.
- Honda drew up those plans and it works quite well also! :D

Edit: for some reasons, I haven't read Bmettie post. He is right! I like his avatar (see above) haha.

My mate showed me a pic of that project didn't know if that went ahead or not?? Ahhh Cheers for the find rollus!

SeeUSmile

Nov 22, 2012
Bmettie;2057037 said:
So back on topic...The holes in the cam vs the cam gear are not identical. If you have the pin in the middle hole another one will not go into the side holes, you'll have to remove the center pin and roll the gear forward or back to get one of the side holes, hence the slight adjustability.

Ehh how did I miss this.... makes a whole lot sense now, this whole time I thought it moving the top centre of the pin towards the whole of the camshafts which looked way too much to adjust. I'll to be careful not to drop the pin in the timing case. Dropped a bolt in there once and couldn't get an impact gun to fit between crank bolt and a/c cooler but got very lucky with a magnet before it was it was lost to oblivion.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
FredMk3;2057058 said:
Didn't know you were talking about Honda variable valve timing and lift here. Yes that was confusing

Not an issue. Honda developed adjustability, and did a damn good job with it.

gats

Rebuilding... Slowly!
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, NSW
I have to disagree in the case of the 7M.

Looking at the attached pic, the holes in the cam appear to match the 74° angular separation of the cam gears.

7mge_1.jpg

By my workings, if the cam dowel holes are any closer than 25° apart, they would in fact not be separate holes!

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Nick M;2057324 said:

Yes, the TSRM is right:
"Check that the the straight pin hole position is in the same position it was at disassembly, insert the straight pin."
So, position matters, else this HINT wouldn't be there.

71° appart as Pi said is enough for 3° cam adjustment, that's 6° crank adjustment, that allows to advance or retard a little intake or exhaust:
Advance intake and exhaust => more low-RPM power, less high-RPM power
Retard intake and exhaust => more high-RPM power, less low-RPM power
Less overlap => lower EGTs, faster turbo spool, less fuel
More overlap => higher EGTs, slower turbo spool, more fuel

All it does is moving the powerband, and possibly turbo efficiency. 3° is very little when most adjustable cam gears go +/- 12°

I will measure my stock cam when at home.

SeeUSmile

Nov 22, 2012
Alright, so got a degree wheel printed and got the cam profile of the GE cams integrated with the degree wheel.
I don't have a magnetic dial indicator yet and challenges I've come across is there isn't much room to be able to mount the dial indicator pin on the bucket shim to measure lift, as the cam card doesn't state if this is measured at a specified lift or when the valve is cracking open. Tried to see if I was able to figure out how much degrees it actually adjust through LSA which is at 111° but figured it was hard to do without a dial indicator.

Also went to confirm offset pins Bmettie mentioned.

Also need to get around tools to find true TDC as there's a bit of play on the crank pulley after finding out the woodruff key was worn. But still not a bad idea to degree the cams to see if it's within the specifications.

MKThiiis

Apr 27, 2015
New York
In the first pic it appears that the pins are in thw cent holes, but the close up shows a pin at 3 o'clock,

Could you please help me with which is correct at TDC?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk