stock cam gear adjust-ability

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
What if the hole of the camshaft are not perfectly aligned with those of the gear ? Would it provide say -5 / +5?

Gats, you measure 74° apart on the gear, how much do you measure on the camshaft?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
SeeUSmile;2056838 said:
Any ideas what they were there for if adjustability isn't what toyota soley intended it for?

Toyota had no intention of adjustability. Honda drew up those plans and it works quite well.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Was Yamaha involved in the 7m at all? I was under the impression they started working with toyota with the 1jz.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
AFAIK Yamaha was involved to help Toyota develop multi-valve (read more than 2v/cyl) engines. 7M-GE is the first 24V I6, and 4A-GE the first 16V I4.

This week-end, I will measure the angle between camshaft pin hole, to compare with the 74° from camgears.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
GC89;2056867 said:
Was Yamaha involved in the 7m at all? I was under the impression they started working with toyota with the 1jz.

More made up JZ bullshit. Yamaha did help with the original M engine more than 50 years ago.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
FredMk3;2057014 said:
Well , hmm, you said that in post #9

Let's try this one more time a little slower. You are reading it in what isn't there.

SeeUSmile;2056838 said:
Any ideas what they were there for if adjustability isn't what toyota soley intended it for?

Nick M;2056845 said:
Toyota had no intention of adjustability. Honda drew up those plans and it works quite well.

Honda developed variable cam timing and lift. Toyota had it copied. Are you keeping up?

Re-read your last few posts.

Reread all the posts again. You are confused.

You even said No to Rollus who asked if you meant Yamaha

Not relevant, but I would not be surprised if Yamaha helped Honda develop variable cam timing as they did variable manifolds. Rollus has language issues and it is obvious. And I don't hold that against him. His English is much better than my French, which doesn't exist. He seems confused often here.

Bmettie

Apr 27, 2010
Florida
So back on topic...The holes in the cam vs the cam gear are not identical. If you have the pin in the middle hole another one will not go into the side holes, you'll have to remove the center pin and roll the gear forward or back to get one of the side holes, hence the slight adjustability.