steering mod , think it would work?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
planemos;1891196 said:
For real? Because I believe that would work out a lot better...
I'm not in the habit of posting bullshit...

If this was done correctly it will be a safe as a stock arm, operative term here being "correctly" NOT by Billy in his shed with a stick welder and the wrong filler material.

Look at Off roaders the top end race stuff their uprights are fully fabricated and they will see loads/impacts far in excess of any road car.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
planemos;1891228 said:
Also what do you guys think about cutting off the abs sensor part of the steering knuckle? Would that weaken the metal properties of the entire unit?
Any time you heat up metal significantly, it can weaken it, correct? Now unless you plan on cutting through that ABS sensor provision with a hack saw, you're probably going to be heating that up quite a bit...

Anyway, IJ, you had a pretty nasty steering component failure a couple years back, and that wasn't even modified, just stressed. The danger when modifying steering components is very much a real factor.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
te72;1891460 said:
Any time you heat up metal significantly, it can weaken it, correct? Now unless you plan on cutting through that ABS sensor provision with a hack saw, you're probably going to be heating that up quite a bit...

Anyway, IJ, you had a pretty nasty steering component failure a couple years back, and that wasn't even modified, just stressed. The danger when modifying steering components is very much a real factor.
Wrong end of the car for my failure Brad ;)

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I might want to point out that if you cool the metal properly after heating it up it will not harm the metal. If you dont cool the metal properly then it will be way weaker then it originally was. A good fabrication shop will have the ovens and control factors to keep the metal from becoming brittle. Also if you dont get proper penetration and/or dont weld properly then you will be putting all the stress on the weld joint and it just wont hold up. SOMETIMES units are built a certain way to allow for flex or stress to be distributed over a larger area and if you adjust this then you are compromising the integrity of the engineering that originally went into this.

My question now is, can another spindle or arm be made to help the steering angle? Do we know a machinist and engineer on here that could answer this question and estimate a basic cost of copying the unit into a stronger, lighter metal that has been adjusted. Is there a better rack to put in this car? Maybe an electric assist rack that will allow us to take the power steering pump off the motor.

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
p1891537_1.jpg

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Frame work on trucks is a good example. Like when airbagging a truck or cutting out a part of the frame on a truck and replacing it. You have your initial weld where you weld the 2 sections of frame rail together. But you must also weld plates to the outside of the frame rail to distribute the load away from the joint. So reinforcements around the weld of the steering knuckle would be an excellent idea. Because it is not cast but in fact forged steel then this method should still apply. I'm not 100% sure about the differences with welding mild steel vs. forged steel though

Many companies out there make spindles. Belltech, TotalChaos, Rough Country. If you were looking to go by the book and get some professionally made spindles (and pay for just that) then you could try and contact any of those places to ask about getting some made. If those desert racing and competition racing trucks can have lift spindles hold up to that kind of abuse then I am not afraid at all. As long as it gets done right.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
Mattsplat was guaging interest about new knuckles. I like what Im seeing, either way I need more angle

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
yeah, in all honestly I'd buy a set of properly modded stock knuckles.. it's not like it would be expensive, and it would be a great benefit.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
I was thinking of cutting some knuckles and drilling holes on both sides of the joint, inserting a metal dowel and welding the joint. Grinding down the weld's and then boxing the whole piece. I was also looking in to gusseting and drilling like GFM's picture. I abandoned the idea from the other thread because no one would pay for what they were asking. Some of us in the PNW are thinking and working on a solution.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
Ive been thinking about this pretty much all day. Ive got some ideas and a very crafty friend with a welder. No cutting, only drill and reinforce.

Jordon Burt

my plan for the steering angle in the steering rack spacers off of driftmotion, and modding the knuckle. ill post when its done, prob around january though :p i cant work for a bit. heads all messed up.. got stabbed in the head.. , long story..