steering mod , think it would work?

Jordon Burt

i was looking at my car since i dont have much money to play with as i cant work for a few months (accident happend) and i though i might aswell figure out how to get more steering angle. i seen this..

IMG00132-20121108-2222.jpgIMG00133-20121108-2223.jpg

thinking of shortening the steering knuckle.... what damage would/should i expect??

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
usa2yvej.jpg

Lol had to. I've always seen just using the spacers

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I'm planning on doing it this winter too. My welder can weld up to 1/2 inch thick so I'm hoping to get lot's of penetration. I am going to try cutting and welding a pair of toyota pickup knuckles to see how the metal fuses. Then I will do my Supra knuckles once I get the hang of it. But you need to find out how much to cut out. If you have too much angle then the rims will hit the lower control arm. You can get different rims though. Or spacers. I'm not sure about how much weaker the knuckles will be after the modification. But I'm sure it can handle basic driving around. And on the track if they break so what? Nissans break tie rods all the time.

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
I am curious to see how this goes. As a professional fabricator (my medium of choice is Aluminum, dont work with cast anything much) I do not see it being as safe as I would like. I have two complete front ends to play with though so I am willing to sacrifice some parts if it leads to better angles since I am going to do some drifting.

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
planemos;1891104 said:
I'm planning on doing it this winter too. My welder can weld up to 1/2 inch thick so I'm hoping to get lot's of penetration. I am going to try cutting and welding a pair of toyota pickup knuckles to see how the metal fuses. Then I will do my Supra knuckles once I get the hang of it. But you need to find out how much to cut out. If you have too much angle then the rims will hit the lower control arm. You can get different rims though. Or spacers. I'm not sure about how much weaker the knuckles will be after the modification. But I'm sure it can handle basic driving around. And on the track if they break so what? Nissans break tie rods all the time.
Tell me your VIN and Licence plate number is so I can phone your local ministry to remove your vehicle from the road.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Maple191;1891181 said:
Tell me your VIN and Licence plate number is so I can phone your local ministry to remove your vehicle from the road.

Well I haven't done it yet so my car is still safe. But why are you on a forum where people share car modifications if you have such an attitude?

IanC

Jul 13, 2012
Maryville, TN
planemos;1891197 said:
Well I haven't done it yet so my car is still safe. But why are you on a forum where people share car modifications if you have such an attitude?

There's a difference between modification and endangerment.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
You can still function properly without ABS. ABS was an option from the factory. Having working steering was not an optional extra. Standard equipment there ;)

Sent from my terrible HTC Rezound using Tapatalk. Don't buy HTC...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
you mean cleaning up the engine bay? ABS isn't truly a necessity.. I grew up without it.
Just curious.. if you actually wanted to shorten it, isn't the design slightly generic? There is probably one that has the same specs that is shorter on a different vehicle. Haven't looked at it, but a lot of the mods I see have come from other cars.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Either way its a safety option. Some grew up without seat belts I guess we should take those out as well....

My point is if someone wants to kill them selfs why is it your Place to stop them lol.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Turbo Habanero;1891212 said:
Either way its a safety option. Some grew up without seat belts I guess we should take those out as well....

My point is if someone wants to kill them selfs why is it your Place to stop them lol.

Because they're NOT just putting themselves at risk, but everyone else on the road.

IanC

Jul 13, 2012
Maryville, TN
Turbo Habanero;1891212 said:

When that weld breaks going around a turn and they lose steering they aren't just risking killing themselves.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
So basically you are all saying that this should not be done because it will break for certain. But what would it take to break a properly welded steering knuckle? Most likely it would require driving into a curb at a fast speed or something. Has anyone here seen a Nissan break a tie rod while driving? The chances of both knuckles breaking at the same time are slim to none. Has anyone seen a knuckle break in an accident?
What about on the track guys? Can it be done then? I know that I have seen a few drift cars with it done and they hold up pretty well from what I have seen. Also there is the fact that nobody makes a kit which increases steering angle. Something good drifters want and need in order to be competitive in an mk3. Well I did see one for an mk4 but it was thousands of dollars.

I swear I have read this thread before...

Who here actually needs more steering angle?

Also what do you guys think about cutting off the abs sensor part of the steering knuckle? Would that weaken the metal properties of the entire unit?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Chrysler builds faulty steering all the time... lol. Google Dodge Death Wobble...
Im not a welder nor a metallurgist... (did I spell that right?), but the steering knuckle isn't something I would play with personally..

And... just to reference the smart ass remark about seatbelts not being in cars back then (lap belts were), back then I could rat-race through the city I lived in and maybe see 3 cars... today, I would be lucky to drive one block without seeing 3 cars. (talking mid-70's now). So... the reference is invalid. Today you dont just need a seat belt.. you need Massive pillows flung at your face at 200 kph to protect you.