steering mod , think it would work?

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
I am gonna be following this very closely. I have an extra set of everything to play with...too bad I am inexperienced with welding cast, I mainly do aluminum

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I think they are ignoring the grumpy guys lol... maybe explain the reason why you say its forged steel. Or what the difference is for their project. Details make people care

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
So since it's forged.... how would you deal with that? When you weld forged you randomize the grain structure (making it non forged) and weaken it where it was heated beyond a certain point, correct?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Plenty of folks have welded knuckles that are made of forged steel.. the key is who you're having weld it.

I have two friends that are pros, and I'd probably only trust the guy that does welding on stuff that people's lives depend on (ex. Disney rides, ships, etc).

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
Dylan JZ;1894108 said:
Plenty of folks have welded knuckles that are made of forged steel.. the key is who you're having weld it.

I have two friends that are pros, and I'd probably only trust the guy that does welding on stuff that people's lives depend on (ex. Disney rides, ships, etc).

I can think of only one guy around here I would trust. He welded the cap pieces that held down the glass that went on the rover that found the titanic.
I am a welder by trade and I don't trust myself with them.

aurastephen

I have a friend who cut and welded his steering knuckles on his mk3 he ran into a wall at sort of a funny angle the tie rod snapped and lower control arm bent in 6 inches but steering knuckle still perfectly in shape he got a new lower control arm and tie rod plus a few panels and untwisting and still drives it on the street to this day. Perfect example this works oh and the steering angle he got out of it unreal (for an mk3)

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
aurastephen;1894303 said:
I have a friend who cut and welded his steering knuckles on his mk3 he ran into a wall at sort of a funny angle the tie rod snapped and lower control arm bent in 6 inches but steering knuckle still perfectly in shape he got a new lower control arm and tie rod plus a few panels and untwisting and still drives it on the street to this day. Perfect example this works oh and the steering angle he got out of it unreal (for an mk3)

any way you can get some pics/info on what he did there?

aurastephen

he doesnt have any pics yet ill try to get a hold of him on that. As far as how he did it was simply cut 15mm's out and butt welded it back with some bracing after some cleaning and grinding unless you had another beside to compare you couldnt even tell it was touched.

aurastephen

Also many people use this same setup in many other drift cars ive seen it on soarer/sc's and even a lot of trucks have similar setups as long as everything is prepped well and you use a good welder and your a good welder yourself you shouldnt have any problems chanced are youll break your tie rod before you break the weld.