starting procedure

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I need suggestions on how to start an engine after it has been sitting for a couple of years. So far I've drained the coolant and shot some WD 40 in the cylinders. I'm planning to dump a little Marvel mystery oil and Lucus oil product over the cams and in the cylinders. Then I need to hand turn the engine. I'm going to drain the fuel and add Gas treatment and Hi octane fuel. Also, I'll add new oil and filter along with motor flush and after it runs awhile, change the oil and filter with new.

Is there a way to spin the oil pump with an drill motor before starting it?

Please give your thoughts or suggestions.....thanks!!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
First see if it cranks by hand. If it does change the oil and crank the motor over until pressure and then start. Couple years isn't that drastic.

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
I'm sure you already know this, but just to clarify for anyone that might be searching this topic, pull the spark plugs so the motor can spin faster. I turned it over with the key in 10 second intervals (supposed to be bad for the starter to run it very long). Took about three times til I got oil pressure on the gauge.

Then put the EFI fuse back in and run the fuel pump manually by bridging Fp and +B at the diagnostics port. Circulate all that stagnant fuel/crud and smell for leaks. Might wanna add some fresh fuel to the tank first (not you, people searching this topic).
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=71

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
my old 7mge sat for three years, replaced the battery and she started right up. Only turned over twice before it fired up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk