Starting build #2 , I WANT 500 RWHP...

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I don't know how we would test that. Got a spare you can try?

Autozone let's you return no questions asked, so pick one up from there and try it out?

I still believe it could be the map. Does it respond to changes in manifold pressure/vacuum? You can see that in the AEM software.

87turbosupra

"The 87' Burgundy"
Apr 11, 2005
Colo Spgs, CO
I need an IS300 ignitor to try swapping out with mine to see if this thing will run better. I did a compression test
yesterday and all 6 cylinders are at 140 psi so i know there is good compression. This sucks, it literally started
running like shit over night. I brought the car back to the AEM tuner and he said the map is still good and all the
sensors read correct.

jotech

Dec 15, 2011
Curacao
chek your sparkplugs, how old are they,dit you gap them when you installed them in the car chek the gap again see if it is bigger than before do remember thad the plugs get old and now you are running much boost pressure in the cylinder,try to set the boost back to 14 and see if it misses and if it don't there is your problem,because you are running the is300 coil setup i know thad the spark is good but maybe your plugs are worn,

87turbosupra

"The 87' Burgundy"
Apr 11, 2005
Colo Spgs, CO
I replaced the plugs again to make sure it wasn't that and also gapped them to .022" ( where they were when it ran like a champ). I just
ordered another dh61 ignitor. I also took a fuel sample to check for any contamination and it looks crystal clear. I was going for the sleeper
effect with the car looking stock and paint shitty, but now it won't wake up...

jody

May 10, 2011
Caribbean
dit you try to set the boost lower to see if it stop missing so you know what your problem is, are you using the vvti coils ?

jody

May 10, 2011
Caribbean
ok dit you chek your fuel press and if the car is idling and you try to ref it will it miss or is he doing it only under load ?,chek you fuel filter it migth be gloged, do you have a data log of the car when it was running good if you have than make another one now thad he is missing and compare them to see what migth be the problem

87turbosupra

"The 87' Burgundy"
Apr 11, 2005
Colo Spgs, CO
So I finally decided to spend some time on this damn car again. I still cannot figure out how it went from running great one night to the next morning I start it up and it misses under any load. I've replaced the cam sensor with a brand new Toyota unit, checked fuel filters(spotless), replaced spark plugs and set gap, fuel pressure is the same as when dynoed, sent the AEM out for a diagnosis (they said everything is functioning properly), replaced the DH61 ignitor. Are these 2JZGE coils known for going bad, they have maybe 300 miles on them from knew.

87turbosupra

"The 87' Burgundy"
Apr 11, 2005
Colo Spgs, CO
I'm going to get another set of new IS300 coils from Driftmotion, even though the ones on it are new from Driftmotion. I have no clue what else it could be. It really seems to be ignition related. I've removed and inspected everything in the fuel and ignition system. The only thing that did not look right was when I had a timing light on it was randomly not getting spark with the engine running from each of the coils. It was a very inconsistent light pattern from the timing light.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Could it be something with the harness/wiring or maybe a grounding issue? You could try temporarily improving grounding near (circuit-wise) the igniter and coils, just to see if it makes a difference. I'd use jumper cables or whatever wire was handy attached to another major grounding point.