Split decision..... Turbo or N/A

Jokervrs

Mar 20, 2009
California
Hey guys i had a couple of questions i hope you guys could help me with, i do understand the answer may vary on location and all but id like to hear what you have to say based on your location

question 1: I bought a supra N/A Auto trans sport package in bad shape. I had plans to put a good amount of money into it to make it Turbo 5 speed and all and build it up " to get that Self accomplished feeling" Unfortunaly my budget is super tight and i realized i dont really have much money to really be spending. So the question is. i was thinking about swapping the motor for a GTE and leaving it auto trans untill i have the money to get a good kit for 5 speed. But as i said money is scarce and i want it to be reliable. If properly maintained is the gte a pretty reliable engine or should i stick to N/a if reliablity is an issue?

Question 2: I was talking to my friend and he says he knows a really reliable guy that can do a swap for me. He would guarentee the engine for soo many months but what is something i should look out for with a used engine to make sure i dont have any problems?

Thanks in advanced guys i really appreciate your help being that im pretty new to this

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
In what ways is the car in bad shape? If the car is in bad shape then buying a turbo engine should be last on your list of things to buy.

A properly maintained engine turbo or no turbo will be reliable, but getting a engine to swap into your car without doing a rebuild will cost you more in the long run. But the cost of the rebuild it self can make your wallet go flat.

On a personal note, I have driven both a 5 speed and automatic NA for the past couple of years and have enjoyed every minute, from the first BHG to the first rod knock. Yea, its not as fast as a turbo car, but its plenty enough to get in trouble in, by the law or by the limits of the car it self.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
How is the car in bad shape? I have a similar situation I guess, 87 na at with sport package. I'm going turbo at some point eventually lol. I am however building the rest of the car back up first. No sense in dumping a nice motor into an old worn out car. I'm doing an r154 swap soon, actually have all the parts just waiting for it to cool down.

The motor swap is actually last on my list, list: A to get to turbo, list: B will be upgrading from that new starting point as a turbo supra. I did spend money and time to make the NA healthy again to make sure it lasts until the swap.

If money is tight I would just focus on making it healthy again not throwing all the money into a motor. I especially wouldn't pay someone to do the work for me no matter what kind of promise guarantee they might make. Doing the work is up to you though, you will pay twice as much to have someone else do it.

ricerkid

Jul 8, 2009
St. Louis
If I where you I would put a stall, drag radials, and a 75shot on it. (and make sure the engine is healthy before you put more stress on it) In my opinion that seems to be the cheapest way to go fast. I reckon that could break you into the low 13's or high 12's. That's what i plan to do with my 1986.5 5speed anyways... (minus the stall) It would probably be about $2000 to $2500. Just my take on it.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Wait until you have the money and build a turbo engine. Whether mild, modest or heavy. Don't go into it without double your expected budget.

If the car is in good running shape, enjoy it for now. If not, give attention to what needs it.

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
Here is my take:

A Supra in bad shape is not the car for somebody on a SUPER TIGHT BUDGET.

If you are looking for reliability.. buy a Honda.
A Supra in bad shape is going to cost you some serious cash to make reliable.

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
I would just get a car for a daily driver and save and save and save till you can do exactly what you want. That's what im doing cause im poor, trust me patience pays off. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
You said Supra and not much money to spend in the same post, Run Away, and don't look back.

In all seriousness, just sell the pile of bolts and don't bother... you'll rest easier at night.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
you can swap to a 7MGTE with an auto, swap all associated parts and ECU, and then once you go 5 speed, you won't have to change the ECU or harness again, so that'll save you some money..

or you can swap for an r154 or w58 NOW, and practice stick until you get good at it and then go turbo..

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Jokervrs;1372729 said:
Hey guys i had a couple of questions i hope you guys could help me with, i do understand the answer may vary on location and all but id like to hear what you have to say based on your location

question 1: I bought a supra N/A Auto trans sport package in bad shape. I had plans to put a good amount of money into it to make it Turbo 5 speed and all and build it up " to get that Self accomplished feeling" Unfortunaly my budget is super tight and i realized i dont really have much money to really be spending. So the question is. i was thinking about swapping the motor for a GTE and leaving it auto trans untill i have the money to get a good kit for 5 speed. But as i said money is scarce and i want it to be reliable. If properly maintained is the gte a pretty reliable engine or should i stick to N/a if reliablity is an issue?

Question 2: I was talking to my friend and he says he knows a really reliable guy that can do a swap for me. He would guarentee the engine for soo many months but what is something i should look out for with a used engine to make sure i dont have any problems?

Thanks in advanced guys i really appreciate your help being that im pretty new to this

This might be an "ass" thing to say,.. I think you already answered your qeustion,.. your saying your "budget is tight" I was gonna mention the money thing before I read your post. from my experience "money has been a big issue for me any ways, and I didn't even do a swap. Reliability: I wouldn't go with a used engine, your only asking for trouble, especially if your going turbo, guarantee it. "Oh" I'm not trying to be an "ass" just being honest about the money thing. P.s swaps are not cheap, I'd stay n/a,....personly

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
supramk3speed;1403306 said:
I would just get a car for a daily driver and save and save and save till you can do exactly what you want. That's what im doing cause im poor, trust me patience pays off. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Exactly.