Speedo needle wobbles?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
It may be the green unit in the back, my original cluster read speed perfectly, but the other gauges were fucked up (plus I wanted to get rid of the ricer indiglo gauges I installed; tastes change), the second I swapped out my cluster for a new one it started...

I just need to find an excuse to take it apart again...

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
IJ.;1135274 said:
TEMS and Cruise both rely on a Reed switch on the back of the Speedo for the Speed signal so if the Speedo's jumping neither are going to operate correctly.

Personally I'd buy both cable sections and replace then ignore it for another 20 years. ;)

Reed switch? Can you elaborate? I'm wondering if its related to two problems I'm having. Of course the needle is wobbly below 20. But my cc comes and goes. Most of the time, it doesn't work. Sometimes it does and will continue to work until I hit a bump, like an overpass. Sometimes, it just goes out on smooth road. My TEMS (tokicos) will often read three bars even while sitting at a stop light, where it should read one (two for sport?).

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
There is a Reed switch in the back of the Speedo that sends 4 pulses per cable rotation from memory, this is THE signal Cruise uses to know how fast you're travelling and it the car slows for a hill and needs more throttle.

It's NOT a good signal at the best of times and can bounce and be not accurate, all of this will effect how well the car holds speed.

If the cable routing has been moved from stock or the cable is in bad condition/kinked/dry it will affect the Reed Signal.