Speedo needle wobbles?

Neil W

Sep 1, 2008
Fall River, NS
You guys must have heard of this before.. the speedo needle moves +/- 3 mph all the time. I think the wire is making a squeaking sometime too... is this a remove, grease and reinstall?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
TEMS and Cruise both rely on a Reed switch on the back of the Speedo for the Speed signal so if the Speedo's jumping neither are going to operate correctly.

Personally I'd buy both cable sections and replace then ignore it for another 20 years. ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It's one of those nasty PITA Mk3 jobs that you don't want to have to do again and at least with both cable sections replaced you can rest in peace knowing the Cluster doesn't have to come out again ;)

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Cluster to tranny wasn't too hard, just make sure you line it up properly when putting the cluster back, hardest part for me.

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
Figit090;1135422 said:
uuughh! mine does this below 20 mph. they usually fail soon after these symptoms? doesn't twitch above 20 though...

mines been doing the same thing under 20mph for over 2 years now and its yet to fail. not saying its not gonna but ill buy both the cables next time i have parts money and ill wait and see what happens.

supra1642

Aug 28, 2007
Michigan
mine wobbled a little bit today and then when i started it later at night it was gone completely. where can you find the the cables for a cheaper price new?

ILikeCarsYesIDo

Permanently Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Hayward, CA
All three of my Supras have wobbled below 15 MPH. Never has a speedo cable failed on me. I've never seen a Supra's speedo needle rise and slow down slowly.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Well I am here to tell you. This is normal. All Supra's do it. They wobble, from 0-20 maybe a little more depending, they just are like that, it doesn't mean they're are about to fail.. I have had 5 Supra's now, and all 5 did it, and my friends has done it, and many of my other friend's car do this IT"S NORMAL! ( my excuse is ) Supra's don't like going slow :naughty:

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Mine has done it for a while now, sometimes. It still works fine at higher speeds though. I wouldn't worry about it much right now, replace it when it break, or replace it now if it really bugs you.