SP6265 question...

Aleo24

Aug 15, 2011
Perth
Is it bush bearing or ball bearing? If its bush bearing are you getting enough oil supply/pressure to the turbo?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
grant's_junk_turbo_v2.jpg

Oil pressure is good. Shop spent most of the day checking everything and bottom line.. turbo is no good. $$$.....

The non-turbo portion of the tune is complete and the engine runs flawless. Just a "hit and miss" turbo ... that missed. sigh...

Everytime I try to save money, it costs more in the end. I gotta remember that better.

din904

Oct 25, 2010
Jacksonvile,FL.
Grandavi;1996848 said:
Everything is as it should be. Getting more certain its the turbo. Gonna have to pull it and rebuild I think.

I was worried about the spool on this with the .84 ar hotside. Generally, I like when the spool starts at about 3200 and really kicks right at the 4000-4500 rpm mark. In 3rd gear, when I hit 4500 rpm, I am already above the speed limit a fair bit... and 4th.. well... lol.

I think because everything is built around this turbo, I may just send it to Alamo for a diagnosis/rebuild. Just hate paying the extra for the shop to R&R it... and it sets me back timewise..

ah well.. best to be patient.

Sorry I tried to download my dyno sheet so you can take a look at it but I couldn't figure it out anyway at 3200 it's making 5 psi at 3750 it's making 10 psi and full boost at 4200 at 4700 rpm it made 510 ftlb of torque the only problem you will have is keeping your rear tires from going up in smoke!

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
If you look at that dyno sheet posted in posted in #24... you will see what is happening.

At 5200 RPM the turbo seizes and stops spinning. Figuring it is the exhaust impeller hitting the housing. (guess at this point).

Pulling the turbo and getting a new Garrett... just picking out which one to get. A little disappointed because this pops me quite a bit over budget paying for a full day of shop time + R&R for the turbo + a new turbo... but I have too much in my car to cheap out at this point and gamble. I could get a new cartridge, but that's almost as much as a new turbo with all the labor involved... disappointed just a bit. Doubt I will ever purchase a used turbo again... not worth it.

Something I should point out though... Reg Reimer is tuning it with the HKS Fcon Vpro 3.3 (first 7M ever as far as we know) and it runs amazing. The idle is smooth as silk and the acceleration is amazing (ramping up to 5500 rpm). Wasn't cheap to get this like it is, but its so far beyond what I was expecting. Going to be very interesting to see what happens with a proper turbo on the car. (that dyno chart shows almost 400 rwhp at 8.5 lbs of boost.. it wasn't even turning on really... )

din904

Oct 25, 2010
Jacksonvile,FL.
Garrett gt3582r is also a very good turbo similar to sp 6265 spools about the same but makes a little less hp up top. Hang in there it will be worth it in the end good luck.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
was just looking at the GTX3576R.. A lot of this will be dimension based to fit where the SP 6265 was sitting as well. The Garret exhaust housing will probably be narrower giving me a little more room.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think I will be getting a Garret simply because I can get one in a 1-2 day turn around where I live. The others will take 2-3 weeks minimum. Just figuring out what variant. Physical dimensions play a part in this now because so much work was done to make the SP6265 fit properly, I don't want to have to redo exhaust/intercooler/intake at this point.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yeah, will know where Im going on Monday.

Getting a little leery about driving the car though.. lol. I think the strongest car I have driven was 400 hp.. and I don't think that was rwhp...
If I hit 500, I may go take a course just to get me used to the dynamics. Not like the old days where I could just wing it and learn...

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Grandavi;1996818 said:
So... while idling.. the intake impeller sits.. (doesn't spin)
It looks like it wants to, but doesn't. if you tap it, it will spin, but will spin down and stop. Feels like the shaft tolerances are too tight.

More testing tomorrow, but looks like I have to pull the turbo...

That's not a good thing at all :biglaugh: Big red flag.

When did you buy the turbo? They helping you out at all?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Pulled the trigger... ordered a SP 6262 0.68 ar double ball bearing turbo (hot side heat coated silver) from Sound Performance. Last part of the drivetrain.. hoping its here in under 2 weeks (expedited shipping, but I haven't had much luck getting USPS in under 3 weeks... )

I just end up replacing anything used on my car no matter what I do... lol. Not going to even bother with used parts anymore unless I can't find new. Too much headache and in the end seems to always cost me more.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I was going to get a Garrett, however, Precision has the oil drain on the inside towards the cold side and with the HKS Longrunner Manifold I am using, it works pretty slick. The garrett would mean getting rid of my manifold. (A used part I had to pay a ton to recondition and ceramic coat as well.. lol)

Im also not bumping this thing up into the 20 psi range. Don't see the need to really. With the SP6265, when it spooled, it was a ton of power at 8 psi... Im guessing the this will be very similar. Pretty well the same housing, just a slightly smaller (and I think better matched) impeller. I'll be happy if I see spool anywhere between 2800-3400. Hopefully it doesn't hit too hard.. lol. I wont be able to afford wheels/tires for a while. This also pretty well kills this year's plan of SIV...

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I think you will be fairly happy with the 6262. Specially the DBB model. a friend of mine has one in his car with a 7m, and it seems like the damn thing spools instantly compared to my 6766. and his is a journal bearing turbo. He is also on pump gas and it is such a big difference compared to mine on e85 etc.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yeah, this one should spool faster with the .68 AR as well. I don't really need this big or bigger because all I wanted to do was approach 500 rwhp. Judging from the 6267's little dyno burst to 380 rwhp at 8 psi.. I don't think Im going to have any trouble reaching that at all. Ideally, I want to set up for 10 psi (ext. wastegate spring, no boost controller), 14 psi (normal) and 18 psi (scramble). 18 psi would be a rarity I think, but the turbo could go much higher. My build is based on longevity and performance, so I want to keep the boost low. Its crazy how well the engine runs with the VPro though... and the way Reg (my tuner) is setting it up is very innovative. I would have never thought of the things he is doing with the engine.

Just looking at the AFR's and how well mannered the engine is, I am thinking 32 mpg on the highway will be pretty easy to achieve. And that's with no cams, no porting, just a stock 7M with forged pistons.

I wasn't aware of how the ID injectors click though, that caught me by surprise. I thought it was a sticky valve when I heard it and almost panicked. Every cycle.. "click"... lol.