SP6265 question...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I posted in the wrong area, reposting in this area.

I have 1000 cc ID injecotrs, 7MGTE, rebuilt head (no cam/porting), HKS long runner manifold, 3" exhaust, SP 6265 turbo, 44mm Tial Wastegate with 10 lb. spring.

This is the initial dyno, wondering what would cause this.
View attachment 72171

Initially, the turbo wouldn't boost at all for the first 2 pulls, then all of a sudden it hit.. but didn't really spool up properly until 5500 RPM.

So... wondering... you guys think this turbo is too big for the engine or should I be looking elsewhere? The way it sits currently I could probably hit 700 at the wheels with race gas but it wouldn't hit until after 5000 rpm...

I didn't think this turbo was too large for the car, but I think it may be for the way Im set up.

oh... by the way, the HKS Fcon Vpro has the NA side of the engine purring like a kitten and with no boost is running around 260 hp. Sweet setup so far, but this turbo may have to go.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
No way is this turbo too big for the 7m. I'd say there's a problem with your setup or the turbo. Is your waste gate installed properly? It sounds like the waste gate was stuck open for the first few pulls til it let go at the third pull. The late boost of 5500 makes me think it's still being stuck open.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?189090-1jz-6266 This is a pt6266, which is just a touch bigger than your 6265, on a 2.5.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
IndigoMKII;1996722 said:
No way is this turbo too big for the 7m. I'd say there's a problem with your setup or the turbo. Is your waste gate installed properly? It sounds like the waste gate was stuck open for the first few pulls til it let go at the third pull. The late boost of 5500 makes me think it's still being stuck open.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?189090-1jz-6266 This is a pt6266, which is just a touch bigger than your 6265, on a 2.5.

exactly my thought
What wastegate/ means of boost control

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First two pulls were no spool at all. Thinking that it may indeed be the wastegate. It has a 10 lb. spring in it. Originally had a 14 lb. one and was swapped out. May have been stuck and is still sticking.

Smoke test showed no leaks on the intercooler. Havent done a full pressure test of the system yet.

Also, its a Driftmotion intercooler... and I have had some issues with stuff from there. It may be that the core is split or something stupid. May have to pressure test the system up to 30 psi to see what's up because I had issues since this intercooler has been thrown on the car. My thought right now is its either a wastegate malfunction or the intercooler is garbage.

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It is, and it's a very competent shop, so I am relying on them to find the issue. (RCTS)

The fact I was having boost issues prior to this makes me lean to a leak prior to the turbo...

as for the tune, that's just beginning..

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The fact there was no spool on the first two pulls makes me think its gotta be the wastegate. I may just dump the Tial and toss in a HKS one. The Tial 44mm was used, so no telling what is right/wrong, but it bench tested proper. Im soooo close... and then this. :)

Im also thinking that I may go with a QSV if this all works out properly just to move the lag out a bit. When I look at the QSV it looks damn impressive, but then I think of things like back pressure... limited flow.. and wonder...
The turbo sits on a spacer that is the height of a QSV because I had planned for the possibility.. so I wont have to realign the exhaust... it would just replace the spacer.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Tial are some of the best wastegate prolly the most bought. Even used you can still buy all the pieces of it seperatly and rebuild it. No reason to get rid of it.

Also for qsv you will need undivided manifold and divided turbo.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Already done... Manifold was already undivided, and the turbo is divided. This is leftynridge's setup that I bought from here. He had the QSV on, but took it off and used a spacer. The spacer was lost in shipping so I had one made.. same height as the QSV ... just in case.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Are you sure the vac line is on the correct port on that wastegate? the wrong port will pull it open
Edit : now that I think about it once it boosted it would hold it closed so never mind

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Tested the wastegate and its function as it should. Pressure tested the system.. and its tight.

So... while idling.. the intake impeller sits.. (doesn't spin)
It looks like it wants to, but doesn't. if you tap it, it will spin, but will spin down and stop. Feels like the shaft tolerances are too tight.

More testing tomorrow, but looks like I have to pull the turbo...

If I do.. any suggestions on a better "street spool" turbo? Looking at this one and it looks like the spool up is going to happen later than I want (with the .84 AR hot side). Huge power top end, but the lag is going to be a bit much.
Gonna cost money regardless, so I may as well get one suited for how I want to run if I have to rebuild this one.

all depends on what we find tomorrow. Color me a bit disappointed...

din904

Oct 25, 2010
Jacksonvile,FL.
Sp 6265 turbo stock long block makes 20 psi and 350 rwhp at 4200 rpm running tial 38mm waste gate. Your turbo is bad it should spin when idling. My turbo spins when cranking the motor. Check your housing to make sure all your bolts are tight and housing is lined up correctly. You will definitely love the spool and response of this turbo the best upgrade I have done so far and no the turbo is not to big its a good street turbo you won't regret staying with that turbo! It made 490 rwhp from 5300 rpm all the way to redline still at 20 psi

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
din904;1996823 said:
Sp 6265 turbo stock long block makes 20 psi and 350 rwhp at 4200 rpm running tial 38mm waste gate. Your turbo is bad it should spin when idling. My turbo spins when cranking the motor. Check your housing to make sure all your bolts are tight and housing is lined up correctly. You will definitely love the spool and response of this turbo the best upgrade I have done so far and no the turbo is not to big its a good street turbo you won't regret staying with that turbo! It made 490 rwhp from 5300 rpm all the way to redline still at 20 psi

Everything is as it should be. Getting more certain its the turbo. Gonna have to pull it and rebuild I think.

I was worried about the spool on this with the .84 ar hotside. Generally, I like when the spool starts at about 3200 and really kicks right at the 4000-4500 rpm mark. In 3rd gear, when I hit 4500 rpm, I am already above the speed limit a fair bit... and 4th.. well... lol.

I think because everything is built around this turbo, I may just send it to Alamo for a diagnosis/rebuild. Just hate paying the extra for the shop to R&R it... and it sets me back timewise..

ah well.. best to be patient.

Last edited:

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
If you don't like the spool from the 84 housing, get a .63 housing to bolt on to it. It'll lower the spool a touch and unless you're revving to 7k, you won't lose top end.

6265 is an amazing turbo.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
.84 divided will spool about the same as a .63. Usually helps if the manifold is divided tho. And if he uses the qsv then he is already setup as the .63 is un divided