Source for Rebuilt Differential or Shop that does Rebuilds?

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
If it didn't mean shipping an 80-pound package 6000 miles, I'd send mine to Jaws.

Is there anyone on the east coast?

Asterix

jawsgear

Undergoing Construction
Jan 29, 2006
Sactown
www.jawsgear.com
gaboonviper85;1131218 said:
would you mind posting pics of a $400 mkiii diff rebuild next to a $1500 diff rebuild so people know what the are getting?....I personally would like to see the difference in parts.

Its not a matter of posting pictures. All the diffs from the outside look the same. Its not about what it looks like it IS about what parts you put inside, example, Gear Ratio, Rebuild Posi or install new TRD, Solid Spacers, Yokes, Ect. BTW just cause there is a transmission shop in town does NOT mean they know how to build differentials.:nono:

jessetooslow

May 11, 2007
Tiverton, R.I.
My car is pretty much fine it has 120,000 miles. I was thinking of redoing the tranny and diff over the winter then eventually the motor, I just want a stock rebuild for the diff. the tranny I might go with a performance rebuild.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
BorHor;1131216 said:
Even my weak NA had a blown diff.. How does having an auto make any difference to if a diff is blown?

and JAWS FTW!!!!
i'm just stating the fact that a stock supra with an auto doesn't put any power to the wheel's.i've had a 7mgte auto and a 1jzgte apu auto,neither felt like they put down any power.i don't think he ever said his diff was blown;).i don't think anybody in are area is capable of rebuilding anything toyota,this is domestic land up here.

jessetooslow

May 11, 2007
Tiverton, R.I.
tsuper92;1131592 said:
i'm just stating the fact that a stock supra with an auto doesn't put any power to the wheel's.i've had a 7mgte auto and a 1jzgte apu auto,neither felt like they put down any power.i don't think he ever said his diff was blown;).i don't think anybody in are area is capable of rebuilding anything toyota,this is domestic land up here.

it doesn't make power at the moment, hopefully next year wil be a different story, I know a few guys that redo diffs, just have to talk to them. whats new with your car anything?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
jawsgear;1131442 said:
Its not a matter of posting pictures. All the diffs from the outside look the same. Its not about what it looks like it IS about what parts you put inside, example, Gear Ratio, Rebuild Posi or install new TRD, Solid Spacers, Yokes, Ect. BTW just cause there is a transmission shop in town does NOT mean they know how to build differentials.:nono:

I meant pics of the internals not the case.....

Yes transmissions are different but the consept is the same IMHO...rebuilding a diff isn't hard and sure as heck isn't rocket science...don't take what I say the wrong way though...you gotta know what your doing but it's still simple....especially if you own your own indicators such as myself.....

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
jessetooslow;1131601 said:
it doesn't make power at the moment, hopefully next year wil be a different story, I know a few guys that redo diffs, just have to talk to them. whats new with your car anything?
my car's up on block's sleeping,i've been working on the 91.it had a 60-1 ct upgrade turbo that was bad when i bought it.i bolted up a 57 trim ct from driftmotion along with a couple other little thing's.

i don't know jesse,i have more faith in our diff's then these guy's.i can also swap one out in a couple of hour's and be driving.i'm running a torsen in my car now,which doesn't have a good rep at all for holding power.i just can't bring myself to change it,because it's silky smooth in the corner's.

jessetooslow

May 11, 2007
Tiverton, R.I.
I believe you, I just wanna do like a restoration to my car, so my drivetrain will have like 0 miles, then start from scratch, but that could all change. we'll see what happens, I'm hoping to have a few things done over the winter, I will be redoing the interior and what not

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
good luck with it.just go slow with it and don't put yourself in dept.it's very easy to get out of hand spending money on these car's.i had no intention's of going as far as i did with mine and now i couldn't sell it for half of what i got into it.i'm allready up to a grand to put the turbo on the white car,because i have a problem just bolting thing's up:)

jessetooslow

May 11, 2007
Tiverton, R.I.
yeah, I'm gonna try not to go crazy, I used to be a ford man I owned 6 mustangs, I had a supercharged 86 GT with about $30,000 into it, then I just got rid of it one day, I know what I wanna do, so we'll see. thanks.