Sound Deadener Quantity

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
The sludge is a little hard to work with and cannot be sprayed. I've had my secondskin sitting for years and it has separated from the water. So in the jug there's water on top and basically sludge on the buttom. I simply mix grab some sludge and mix in the water to get the consistency I'm looking for, depending and where and how I plan to apply it.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
^
Put it this way, SecondSkin was initially too thick to spray to begin with and had to be watered-down a bit before it could be used. Paints on with a brush just fine though. If you go with Sludge, you'll need to apply it with a putty knife. It's not meant for large areas but more for hard to reach ones. I can't imagine deadening my entire interior with a putty knife. Plus, the drying time must be forever. Consistency wise, SecondSkin is like freshly mixed concrete and Sludge is like dough.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Is the spray on stuff suppose to eliminate the need of the mass loaded vinyl too? Or is it just a more effective replacement for the CLD tiles?

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
^
It can be, depending on how many coatings you use. They recommend a minimum of 2mm applied in 1mm coats. I used at least 2-3 coats, depending on the consisitency of my mixture. For optimum results, use 2mm on both sides of the surface (ie. Floor boards and undercarriage). That's what I did and the car is DEAD. Bang on it anywhere and it goes "thunk!". Lol

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
MarkIII4Me;1731250 said:
^
It can be, depending on how many coatings you use. They recommend a minimum of 2mm applied in 1mm coats. I used at least 2-3 coats, depending on the consisitency of my mixture. For optimum results, use 2mm on both sides of the surface (ie. Floor boards and undercarriage). That's what I did and the car is DEAD. Bang on it anywhere and it goes "thunk!". Lol

So if I have existing undercoating it would have to come off before I could apply this I assume so it would be useless to me in that case?

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
trucker;1731471 said:
But thunk does not cut down on road noise getting into the interior. It reduces vibrations and resonances. But it does not block sound.

Spectrum does in fact kill road noise. Even with a ddp, my interior is surprisingly quiet now. I can't even hear the fuel pump anymore. I am more than satisfied with the results. Give them a call and they will answer any questions.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Canuckrz;1731529 said:
So if I have existing undercoating it would have to come off before I could apply this I assume so it would be useless to me in that case?

No, u do not have to remove the factory mat. If u look through my sound deadening post, u will see that I left it on the trunk area. However, I did remove it from the floor boards since the mat had separated and the inner lining became soaked. I hear dry ice is a much more efficient way to remove it then doing what I did.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
You misunderstand, I'm not talking about the factory dampening sheets on the interior (which I have also fully removed) I'm talking about undercoating under the vehicle.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
^
No, that's going to need to be applied to a smooth serface. I sprayed clear-coat over undercoating once, hoping that dynomat would stick. Long story short... it didn't.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I went ahead and ordered all my sound deadener yesterday. I ordered:

150sqft of B-Quiet Extreme http://www.b-quiet.com/extreme.html

54sqft of B-Quiet Vcomp http://www.b-quiet.com/vcomp.html

And one wooden roller.

My order came to about 490 after shipping, taxes, bulk discount (-5%), and coupon code discount (-10%).

If you want the coupon code you have to hang out in Flashchat for awhile :naughty:

I'll likely either be making a seperate audio build thread soon, or making a normal build thread and adding it to it. And will obviously report back with results.