Sound Deadener Quantity

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Has anyone replaced all the sound deadener in their car besides with spray on stuff? I'm looking into getting all my sound deadener ordered and I'm having a hard time trying to grasp exactly how much to get. I'm going back and fourth between 150sqft and 200sqft.

This is what I am planning on using for sound deadening: http://www.b-quiet.com/extreme.html

It looks to be a great deal for what it is and if you put CCA in the cupon area before purchase you get an additional 10% discount.

Also has anyone used the closed cell foam for sound deadening in their cars before? It looks to be rather effective though I cant seem to find it cheaply.

Supraboy87T

Sep 14, 2010
Kennesaw, Ga
In process of doing mine now. I'm ordering bout 200sqft of dynomat. How much of the interior are you trying to do? I'm doing everything from the back seats to the hatch and may do the trans tunnel.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
Stop! Anything more than 25% coverage is a waste of money!
You want to do 25%coverage of "mat" 100% coverage of ccf(closed cell foam)to decouple 1lb/sf mlv.(mass loaded vinyl)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
I use raammat for my mat and ccf. Have pics of my satty floating around on the net somewhere. Truckerfte on diyma.com. in build logs. Sorry can't dig up a link right now

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Read through some of that site, learned alot in a short period of time. So the traditional thought of sheets of silver topped sound deadener is actually just used to prevent panel resonance and not to actually block noise. So then the question remains how much of the actual sound deadener (mass loaded vinyl) would I need do you figure?

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
Lengthxwidth! You want complete coverage with no gaps. I have a link to some mlv at a decent shipped price, but its on either my blackberry or the pc. Lol neither of which I'm anywhere near

Supraboy87T

Sep 14, 2010
Kennesaw, Ga
Guess I need to go read through that site after work. I though all you needed was the black like tar with silver backing. Guess that's not the case?

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
Roofing materials belong on roofs. Avoid asphalt-based sheets, and look for butyl ruber based materials. And for doG's sake, avoid the temptation to use crap like peel-N-seal.
I like raammat, its reasonably priced, and works well.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I used Stinger Roadkill (http://www.stingerelectronics.com/), mostly to fix some rattles and vibrations more than overall noise suppression. Covered the spare tire well, and a few other places that have thin metal that could vibrate or rattle. For the most part it worked well, haven't really done any sort of instrumented testing to see if it *really* helped though. Sounds like trucker has a lot more experience in this field than I do though. :)

Supraboy87T

Sep 14, 2010
Kennesaw, Ga
I was refering to Dynomat extreme. That's what I just started installing. So according to that site I need another layer of the the mlv on top of the dynomat?

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
You only need about 25% coverage of dynamat. Then 100% coverage of ccf, which only serves to decouple your car from a 100% coverage of mlv. I know a shiny metallic covering of dm looks cool, but is kinna a waste of money....esp if you are using dynamat-branded mat.

Supraboy87T

Sep 14, 2010
Kennesaw, Ga
I want to cover from the rear seats back to the hatch floor. What and where would you cover with the DM? I got it for free from a buddy so I'll use what I have, then get whatever else I need.