Someone help me identify this on a 97 GE Block

eyesoarer6

Oct 29, 2010
Westside
Is the bolt with the nipple below it that Im pointing to in the pic a coolant line or a oil line? Is it a feed or return? Im going to run stock twins and need to tap it in somewhere.

p1657290_1.jpg

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
How were you planning to attach the stock twins to the GE head?

edit: nevermind after looking at your previous threads I see your going 1.5JZ and thats a 1JZ head. I thought it looked funny.

eyesoarer6

Oct 29, 2010
Westside
Yeah, Im going 1.5jz and the GE head was on there just to keep the cylinders from getting contaminated. Someone gimme ideas on running my oil lines, please. I also have a question about the oil filter housing on the 1J, one line is coming from the turbos and the other line was going into the GTEs block(pic below). Where can I run this to, where do I run it from? Looks to me that there coolant lines?

p1657322_1.jpg

Last edited:

JZ_n_It

May 22, 2005
Norfolk, VA
stick to the nonturbo parts with respect to the oil filter housing and run a sandwich plate for your oil feed and any oil sensors you want to run.

eyesoarer6

Oct 29, 2010
Westside
JZ_n_It;1657540 said:
stick to the nonturbo parts with respect to the oil filter housing and run a sandwich plate for your oil feed and any oil sensors you want to run.

If I go with a sandwich plate where would I run the coolant line that runs around the engine to the TT oil filter housing? Can you suggest any good kits?

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Yeah those are coolant lines through the oil housing. A ge block has them you just have to change a plug with the pipe. For oil I just tee off from the oil pressure sensor port with a -4an. The threads in the block are 1/8 bspt which is easy to adapt then run a line right around the front of the motor.

eyesoarer6

Oct 29, 2010
Westside
aphxero;1657767 said:
Yeah those are coolant lines through the oil housing. A ge block has them you just have to change a plug with the pipe. For oil I just tee off from the oil pressure sensor port with a -4an. The threads in the block are 1/8 bspt which is easy to adapt then run a line right around the front of the motor.

Cool man, question about 1 of those lines. I know 1 goes in the housing but where can I run the other line out to? On the TT there is a port on the block but the GE block has none. Is that the oil cooler? If not, where is that located?

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
yes it is. On GE theres a plug in the block you can unscrew and put that return fitting in. I've done this many times. Are you saying your GE doesn't have that?

eyesoarer6

Oct 29, 2010
Westside
K Found it.

Last thing. You mentioned to tee the oil line from the oil pressure sensor port, where is this exactly? On the oil pump?

Last edited:

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Nah its on the block behind the ac compressor. Normally the sender for the warning light is there. Do you have a decent hydraulic shop in your city?

eyesoarer6

Oct 29, 2010
Westside
Im not sure about the hydraulic shop, never had to used them. Why do you ask? Can you see the sending unit for the warning light on the block?

p1658237_1.jpg

p1658237_2.jpg

p1658237_3.jpg

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
oh it looks like you have the newer type motor with the bigger threads in the oil sender. It's that one right in front of the oil filter with the one wire connector. They aren't 1/8 bspt like most toyota. I had one of these and iirc it was like 10x1.25. I was just saying go to hydro shop for getting lines and fitting stuff.

But yeah measure those threads. And it looks like in the pic the allen plug for the other oil cooler line is still in the block?

eyesoarer6

Oct 29, 2010
Westside
aphxero;1658444 said:
oh it looks like you have the newer type motor with the bigger threads in the oil sender. It's that one right in front of the oil filter with the one wire connector. They aren't 1/8 bspt like most toyota. I had one of these and iirc it was like 10x1.25. I was just saying go to hydro shop for getting lines and fitting stuff.
But yeah measure those threads. And it looks like in the pic the allen plug for the other oil cooler line is still in the block?

Yeah it a 97 block. I picked up the whole longblock for $150. This was suppose to be a budget build but I kinda got curried away with all the parts and tools I had to ordered. All the parts I had to buy (still buying)totaled out more than the block and head itself.

But that allen bolt for the coolant return is in there pretty good, I tried my Harbor Freights allen socket and it stripping it so I have to wait till tomorrow to borrow my buddies tools.

Now that oil sender unit sensor, how would I tee that off? I pull it out, replace it with a fitting with my oil line but what about the sensor? Am I still using the sensor? Would you have any pics of how u did yours? And, what size oil line would u suggest? Should I run the oil line back around the engine like that hard coolant line or should i take the shortcut and run it under the engine?

Last thing, is it OK to use a GE crank pulley in replace of the TT?

I know Im asking a lot of questions, I just wanna get it done right the first time. APPRICIATE the help man.

Last edited:

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
for dbb i usually use a -3an or -4an for journal. -4 is okay either way with the proper restrictor on a dbb. I'll try to take a pic of mine. brb

eyesoarer6

Oct 29, 2010
Westside
Pics are always good :thumbup:. Whats dbb? And journal? I need more schooling on turbocharging. We use the two hard lines from the turbos with the banjo bolts to run it to the oil sender unit port, right?

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
nah the stock turbo hardlines go into the block on the exh side. btw, dbb=ball journal=regular turbo. I got some pics coming.

eyesoarer6

Oct 29, 2010
Westside
aphxero;1658731 said:
nah the stock turbo hardlines go into the block on the exh side. btw, dbb=ball journal=regular turbo. I got some pics coming.

I have the GE block, these dont have the ports on the exhaust side like the TTs. Isnt this why I need to tap into the Sending unit? I need a feed line to the turbos, NO? If not why were we tapping into the sending unit, Im LOST :(