So ya know how i wanted to relocate the battery?

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
Doward said:
Keep in mind, the water itself will react with the acid to help break down the actual acid into weaker acid.

It's Sulfuric acid in the battery, right? Well, the problem with that, is a) it's one of the strongest acids known and b) when it breaks down from H2SO4 into HSO4- and that HSO4- is STILL acidic, so it breaks down into SO4-2 (damn, I don't know how to get the sub and superscripts working)

Either way - do it once, and do it RIGHT - if you can't do it right, then don't do it man - it's not worth the consequences!

Pics of the carpet now?

I took chemistry my Jr yr of HS (a bit over 1 year ago). Sadly, I only understand half of the things you just said. lol
-Steve

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Doward said:
Keep in mind, the water itself will react with the acid to help break down the actual acid into weaker acid.

It's Sulfuric acid in the battery, right? Well, the problem with that, is a) it's one of the strongest acids known and b) when it breaks down from H2SO4 into HSO4- and that HSO4- is STILL acidic, so it breaks down into SO4-2 (damn, I don't know how to get the sub and superscripts working)

Either way - do it once, and do it RIGHT - if you can't do it right, then don't do it man - it's not worth the consequences!

Pics of the carpet now?

Well im away right now on vaca so no pics for awhile. Water won't react much, it depends what and how much of impurities are in it.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
$160 for an optima?? That's cheap around here. I payed $200 for my red top. Oh, but it came with a really cool case that I will never use. :wuteva:

87supes

May 7, 2007
westcoast
wow, that sucks dude. Well at least you did the right thing, the optima is the way to go but for those that have deep pockets should look into the Odyssey batteries. They are the best and for stock electrical systems w/o too many electrical products added the 900 is great, but for added accessories the larger current output batteries' best suited. Although I always suggest keeping the battery in its' stock location as relocating to the back of the car requires many mods that most people rarely end up doing the first time around and then it leads to failures that force the mods to be done eventually. All power and ground cables need to increase almost relative to the increase in distance. so that means a starter wire of 1/0 gauge and an Alternator wire of atleast 2 ga. and so on. I usually run a single 0 ga. to the front of the car and distribute from that point which is another task as a clean compact distribution block is not that common. Anyways, good luck to you and your relocation mods.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I have yet to move my battery because I am afraid of the possibility of acid fumes inside the car. If the battery or alternator decided to short or worse...I can't picture it being too good for you. Plus, don't batteries vent noxious fumes as a matter of course?

Am I worrying about nothing? Unfounded? Breathing battery acid fumes...too scary!

Can someone knowledgeable on this subject sort me out on how this can be safe?

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
suprabad said:
I have yet to move my battery because I am afraid of the possibility of acid fumes inside the car. If the battery or alternator decided to short or worse...I can't picture it being too good for you. Plus, don't batteries vent noxious fumes as a matter of course?

Am I worrying about nothing? Unfounded? Breathing battery acid fumes...too scary!

Can someone knowledgeable on this subject sort me out on how this can be safe?

it's not a concern if you do it PROPERLY (i.e. non-spillable battery, sealed box, etc.). 90% of the "relocations" you see here are not only dangerous but plain stupid. this thread is a great example of what happens when you don't spend the time to do something right.

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
See the vent tube:
0531071919.jpg

See the lack of grommets where the cables penetrate the box:
0531071919a.jpg

If I ever go back & put those grommets in - it'll be a sealed box w/ vent. If I ever go that far - I might even route the vent outside the car.

- not an unfounded concern, Suprabad. Just less so w/ an Optima.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
If you are 100% efficient in neutralizing the acid, you would need exactly 51% of the total weight of acid spilled in baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to stop the damage given a typical battery acid strength of 30% sulfuric acid and this chemical equation:

2 NaHCO3 + H2SO4 ---> Na2SO4 + 2 H2O + 2 CO2

So for each lb of battery acid spilled you would need just over half a pound of dry baking soda to fully neutralize it - no matter how far you dilute it. :)

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Shytheed Dumas said:
If you are 100% efficient in neutralizing the acid, you would need exactly 51% of the total weight of acid spilled in baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to stop the damage given a typical battery acid strength of 30% sulfuric acid and this chemical equation:

So for each lb of battery acid spilled you would need just over half a pound of dry baking soda to fully neutralize it - no matter how far you dilute it. :)

Any extra we can just use to make crack-cocain :biglaugh:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
....and then people look at me all dumbfounded when I use NHRA approved bat box in the back.

this is the freaking reason you don't do it.

The SAME freaking reason you don't run fuel lines INSIDE the car!
The SAME freaking reason you don't run OIL LINES inside the car!

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Shytheed Dumas said:

\\

there was probably 10~12fl oz. of acid all together. I used probably 2~3lbs (80% of which dry) to try to neutralize and flush the car