So ya know how i wanted to relocate the battery?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Dunckel said:
$160 for an optima?? That's cheap around here. I payed $200 for my red top. Oh, but it came with a really cool case that I will never use. :wuteva:

free optimas here :p err... blemishes :):) i cant tip mine like that but they are just as good :p

our trunks look better without carpet anyway :)

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
My first red top was $60 because it was marked "blemish". But I had to pay full price for the second one because there were no blemished ones available. Not sure why I even bought it. Stupidity i guess.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
well the way you made it sound, it seemed the acid was soaked into the carpet and left a non-drying film on the metal. in which case, coating it in a crust of baking soda may not fully counteract the acid. this is where a solution would be more effective since it WILL wash it out of the shag of the carpet as well as rinse it from the metal and get it away from direct contact. its easier to use as a solution rather than sprinkling powder and using the hope-and-pray method that you got the neutralizer everywhere you need it.

and throwing water onto acid is a bad idea too, if its in large enough quanities. as water dillutes acid, it makes an exothermic reaction where it can give off enough heat to actually boil and/or explode. when you want to dilute acid, youre supposed to "Add Acid" to the water slowly. thats one of the things i remember from Chem... lol

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
yaitsme said:
See the vent tube:
0531071919.jpg

See the lack of grommets where the cables penetrate the box:
0531071919a.jpg

If I ever go back & put those grommets in - it'll be a sealed box w/ vent. If I ever go that far - I might even route the vent outside the car.

- not an unfounded concern, Suprabad. Just less so w/ an Optima.

drjonez said:
it's not a concern if you do it PROPERLY (i.e. non-spillable battery, sealed box, etc.). 90% of the "relocations" you see here are not only dangerous but plain stupid. this thread is a great example of what happens when you don't spend the time to do something right.

Thanks for the clarification and pictures.

I had a bad feeling about some of the battery relocations I've seen and reading drjonez estimation of how many relocations are done improperly confirms my concerns.
I think I'm reading you correctly drjonez by concluding that while this is a cool modification it's not to be taken lightly

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
yaitsme said:
See the vent tube:
0531071919.jpg

See the lack of grommets where the cables penetrate the box:
0531071919a.jpg

If I ever go back & put those grommets in - it'll be a sealed box w/ vent. If I ever go that far - I might even route the vent outside the car.

- not an unfounded concern, Suprabad. Just less so w/ an Optima.

drjonez said:
it's not a concern if you do it PROPERLY (i.e. non-spillable battery, sealed box, etc.). 90% of the "relocations" you see here are not only dangerous but plain stupid. this thread is a great example of what happens when you don't spend the time to do something right.

Thanks for the clarification and pictures.

I had a bad feeling about some of the battery relocations I've seen and reading drjonez estimation of how many relocations are done improperly confirms my concerns.

I think I'm reading you correctly drjonez by concluding that while this is a worthwhile modification, it's gotta be done right or it's an invitation for disaster.

drjonez: Are you saying that a sealed battery (I assume you mean a battery that does not have removable cell caps) is a "must", even if you have a vented and sealed box?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
flubyux2 said:
well the way you made it sound, it seemed the acid was soaked into the carpet and left a non-drying film on the metal. in which case, coating it in a crust of baking soda may not fully counteract the acid. this is where a solution would be more effective since it WILL wash it out of the shag of the carpet as well as rinse it from the metal and get it away from direct contact. its easier to use as a solution rather than sprinkling powder and using the hope-and-pray method that you got the neutralizer everywhere you need it.

and throwing water onto acid is a bad idea too, if its in large enough quanities. as water dillutes acid, it makes an exothermic reaction where it can give off enough heat to actually boil and/or explode. when you want to dilute acid, youre supposed to "Add Acid" to the water slowly. thats one of the things i remember from Chem... lol

i think they meant to add water to acid that was mixed with baking soda... i lost a good pair of pants from a bad battery... hehe

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
... and that's a "professional" installation.
... those F'ers.

I had to ask them to take the 2x4 out that was wedging the battery in place & to install the included hold-down bracket.

I've got lot's to fix.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
jetjock said:
lol.

A heavy box full of lead and acid that makes hydrogen and O2 and is capable of delivering many hundreds of amperes in milliseconds. Nah, no need to take messing with that seriously ;)

WBWBAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

man....it's like you're in my head.....

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
I forgot that before i threw this out i snapped a couple picks:

756403_63_full.jpg

756403_64_full.jpg

thats just damage to carpet, there are a few other spots on interior it did some damage too, but nothing really that obvious thankfully. Fucked the copper wiring for the defroster on the rear winsheild, im not sure if its will work or not, im scared to try it.