So how many mk3's have you junked/scrapped?

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
Personaly 0 and not planing to reach number 1.
My friend had three mk3's. One is a project now. Two were gutted, sold for parts. One shell went to scrap, another one got stolen(interesting why).

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
SupraMario;1758899 said:
This! Why scrap it, just give it to someone.

Because scrapyards will give you a few hundred $$$ for the price of the scrap steel. Unfortunately, that's more than what most MKIII owners are offering; and more times than not, you'll have trouble giving the shell to someone just for the cost of them hauling it of your yard.

I'm scrapping my '86.5. There's not much rust at all on the shell, but I wasn't able to locate a serious buyer. I parted it out, so it will keep other MKIII's on the road; but the bulk of what's left of the shell will be on it's way to the crusher this week.

Last edited:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
At last count, I had parted 10. All of those were pretty much dead, and were used to help many of you better your cars. I still have at least 1 part from most of them, as any part better than mine was always kept. I also saved a shell from TooStands demolition, and brought it back to life for a short while. Then, I saved my current 92 shell from Fsttoy in Texas, and am currently truing to bring it back to life. I took my motor out of the Toostand car, and donated the body to Jugodegolf after his car was totaled. It then took aweful paint, and I don't know what ever happened to that one.

slightly_red_MA70

Holy S*** I own a Racecar
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
2 for me. A Burgandy 87 Turbo shell from the states, pulled the motor and wiring out for my swap then scrapped the rest. And just recently a 86.5 n/a hardtop shell. took the trans and some trim and other misc. parts. shell was full of rust and wasps. scrapped it to afford t4 oil lines lol

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
All stripped down for the most part:

87 blue/blue n/a 5 spd
90 pearl/maroon turbo auto
88 black/grey turbo 5 spd
91 burgandy/gray turbo 5 spd

Sad, but there's more value in the parts then the car as a whole..

Supraboy87T

Sep 14, 2010
Kennesaw, Ga
One for me so far. I don't wanna do it again. It was an 88 targa top blue on blue. I have most of the body panels that I pulled from it still. I'll see if I can get the pic off my phone of it's final ride.
2dlryo0.jpg

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
HorchataKing;1765968 said:
I'm in the process of stripping one now. My only concern is the body. I would hate to see it crushed.

Donate it! High school shop classes, aspiring drift teams, etc... ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Jeff, two out of those three, I don't think anyone would really miss. ;)

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
Killed the first one i bought...LOTS of rust, found a great shell. Stripped the orignal of ALL OF ITS CONTENTS and scrapped it...weighed 1500lbs when i was done :p, guy only got 100 bucks for it.