So how many mk3's have you junked/scrapped?

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
Sometimes you gotto do what you gotto do....:: angry ::

In the time that I've been a mk3 owner i have junked 3 cars.

86.5 1jz swapped...used it as donor and then junked the shell...lots of rust (jersey car)

89 targa shell...no rust, straight shell...needed a lot of work to be put back together. tried to sell and but no luck...i had the car chopped up and scrapped.

88 white targa, friends shell. LOTS of rust. had the car chopped up and scrapped.

Have been a part of other mk3 junking but i rather not take credit for that ;)

p1758811_1.jpg

Picture of my 89 getting ready for scrapping.

My 91 hardtop shell might be next if it doesn't sell....

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I've helped in parting out one (yanked the very blown engine out with a Chevy Yukon haha!), but I've never junked one myself. If nothing else, I give, rather than destroy. I'd feel better giving a car to a friend or as a freebie for someone else to play with rather than destroy a car that has any potential left. Rust is the devil though, if a car were really THAT bad, or entirely beyond saving for safety reasons, I'd scrap it, but otherwise... someone else can inherit the thing for all I care. The space a shell takes up versus the potential money you could make on the thing? Just let it go to someone else...

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
i've brought 3 to the scrapyard to get crushed.
all either 87 or 88, and all of em had major rust.
im about to bring another one since i cant get rid of it for $300.
No one wants to buy a rusty car, nevermind a rusty shell...

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
no one wants to buy a clean shell :p

ive had 2 on sale and nothing. Either way...maybe i just dont care heh

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
i have junked two so far... one was taken by colorado and crushed.....dont ask....wasnt a good deal
the second was a hard hit car i bought for a few pieces.... sold what i could and hauled the rest in as scrap steel

might be a third if i find any major damage on my shell.... i know the front crossmember is done for....and in a bad way... i hope i did not tweek the unibody

emp...id love to have the whole hardtop....but philly is quite far....

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
I've owned over a dozen, only killed one:

1990 N/A Black hardtop. It was stripped bare. Nothing left but the rear quarters, the roof and the front subframe. Everything else was sold/reused. Car had title problems.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
te72;1758838 said:
I've helped in parting out one (yanked the very blown engine out with a Chevy Yukon haha!), but I've never junked one myself. If nothing else, I give, rather than destroy. I'd feel better giving a car to a friend or as a freebie for someone else to play with rather than destroy a car that has any potential left. Rust is the devil though, if a car were really THAT bad, or entirely beyond saving for safety reasons, I'd scrap it, but otherwise... someone else can inherit the thing for all I care. The space a shell takes up versus the potential money you could make on the thing? Just let it go to someone else...

This! Why scrap it, just give it to someone.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I will say this though: for all the trouble my current car has given me, and the stupid little problems I've found all OVER the car, I'd be tempted to give it a proper cremation once I get all the good bits off of it. :p

Probably still wouldn't though. It's still usable to someone, somewhere.

Emp, have you considered donating the car? I'm sure there's gotta be a local charity, drift team, aspiring $20xx teams, etc, that would love to have a Supra. Or hell, a high school shop class, they love things like this to play with...

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
empera;1758852 said:
no one wants to buy a clean shell :p

ive had 2 on sale and nothing. Either way...maybe i just dont care heh

I'd love to buy shells but i live an ocean away from yous :( MkIIIs are not as popular down here. (well..... for my area)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1759306 said:
Understatement much? :p

mk3_7m;1759460 said:
I'd love to buy shells but i live an ocean away from yous :( MkIIIs are not as popular down here. (well..... for my area)

That really is too bad, but shipping half a world away (you're quite possibly on the direct opposite side of the planet down there, from east coast USA) would probably cost more than you could buy a nice Mk3 that's already IN Australia...