So, cancer is a bad bad thing... =(

iheartmx83

May 8, 2007
CA
i feel you dude.... i mean.. i dono how to react to things like this. begining of 2007, my uncle lost his wife due to cancer, and now, its been about a month that my brothers wife found out she had cancer (long line of family members died of cancer). really tuff times for my brother.

:(

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Been there man, i know how hard it is to be totally helpless. Be happy it was caught in time and this will come to pass. Anything you need just ask it of us.

Just your presence is all your dad could ever ask for. Your being with him is proof he raised a good son.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Hey Jake, couple of thoughts here. First of all I doubt you need to tell your father that you love him. Knowing you he already knows that very well, but it doesnt hurt now and then. Just be careful not to make it sound like you are saying goodbye. Hes really still pretty young, and you say they caught it early, take faith in that. One of the MOST important things in cancer recovery is mental health. He needs positive feelings around that help him really believe that he can beat this. I know its hard but YOU have to show him that you believe, and keep him thinking positively. When hes at his lowest is when you have to be at your highest.

Sure its going to be hard, but it sounds to me like you have a few allies around you as well, dont forget to support each other as well. Your father is the one getting treatments but you are ALL victims of cancer. Its ok to ask for help as well. If you are really struggling to deal with this emotionally there are support groups. I imagine you to be alot like me however and will find a way to deal with it even if its just venting a little on your favorite car forum.

We are here for ya.

Last edited:

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
If I said reading all these replies didnt bring a tear to my eye, I would be lying... Im not ballin like a baby, lol, but you guys have really touched my heart and comforted me, and I truly appreciate that... I cant reply individually to all the posts, but just know how grateful I am to be a part of a community that really cares and supports one another the way you all do... Thank you so much for having me, and for your support, guidance and encouragement...

Tomorrow is dad's last treatment... I will keep you all posted on his recovery...

BTW: for those of you who have lost a loved one, my heart and prayers go out to you and your family... Also, wanna thank you for sharing that with me, with us, because I can only imagine how painful that is... Tamara lost her mom when she was 23 to melanoma... Painful times back then... When she heard my dad had cancer, she broke down: "I cant lose my dad to cancer too" she said...

Thank you all again, I'll update you all later...

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Jake, youve got me very emotional reading this, and i want to let you know that if you ever need somebody to talk to at any hour or the night, or day, youve got my phone number.

You were there for me when i went through some hard times of my life last year...and if i told what an impact on my life youve had, you wouldnt beilive me....

I dont pray much, but i do for special occasions, and i will sit down tonight, and pray for you, him, and all your family. I am so very sorry to hear this, and if there is anything that i can ever do for you, or him, i am only a phone call away.

Much love, big brother.

William

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
Jake it looks like you have more support from the members here then anyone would imagine. I have been amazed many times with the members here and how we do help each other out.

I have talked to you a few times and I would bet that your father is proud of the person that you have become. When he called and asked for your help there was not a moment of hesitation in your reply. This was obviously learned from him as I know when you needed help he would not hesitate to jump in with you.

You have a lot of support here and it goes without saying if you need any help from us I can not see anyone hesitating for a moment. You have helped many of us in the past and we are ready to help you.

Tell you dad we are all pulling for him. !

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Sorry I missed this thread Jake, but you had plenty of support without mine. In case you needed any more silent prayers I said one for your dad after reading this. I know he's strong and I'm glad he's through with his treatments. Hopefully everything is perfect with him now. I'm glad to know you were only too willing to drop everything and go support your dad though. I wouldn't have expected anything less from my red headed hero.........

:bowdown:.....................:bowdown:.....................:bowdown:.....................:bowdown:.....................:bowdown:

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I wish the world for your dad Jake. I fear for my dad every day that he continues to smoke. If something like this were to happen to him, I'd break down and cry. Tell him that we are all rooting for him and a safe and healthy recovery.

Have your dad read this thread if he has the strength. I'm sure he'd appreciate the support that we have for him and the rest of your family.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Talked to my dad today, and Im goin back over there next week, if for moral support if anything... He says he's feelin better and hopes that in another week, he'll be rockin and rollin again... Nights are still a little rough for him and he'll get that "out of nowhere" pain that drops him, but its not like it was and he says he's feels it getting less frequent and his energy level is coming back...

Thank you all again for your support and prayers... Im here for you guys too, trust that... Any of you need prayer, support, a friend, you know Im here...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Reign_Maker;1008314 said:
Im here for you guys too, trust that...

I could really use a hand with some vinyl siding tomorrow Jake. I'll see you at 6:30....Thanks.

I'm really glad he's doing great, and sometimes moral support does more than you think.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
After you get done helping Jay, I need help refinishing a deck. Can you be here around 10?

Tell your dad we are all pulling for him. I'll call you later Jake.

MKIII VIXEN

Supramania Contributor
Feb 11, 2006
resting
Jake, I'm so sorry to hear about the difficult time your Dad and your family are going through. I'm praying for you all. Hopefully all the bad stuff is over and your Dad can get his strength back soon.

Vonda

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Jay, I should've checked this earlier... How'd that siding go?

Dunkel, deck turn out ok? :D:D:D

Thanks again everyone...

So, its a steady slow process of recovery... But every day I talk to him, he feels a little better... Still having his moments, but he's really optimistic and excited about life... We are talking about getting scuba certified, that will be awesome... He really wants to enjoy life, not worry so much, not stress so much, and just realize whats important... I can see a real change in his out look, and its fantastic...

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Thats awesome Jake, good news indeed. Many years ago my dad had some serious back surgury done that really set him back. For many years I saw him being overly cautious and paranoid. The year before last, getting up in the morning, his blood pressure bottomed out and he fainted. He fell and ended up cracking two vertabrae. The strangest thing happened during his recovery. He lost his fear. He now gets around better than he did before the fall.

Sometimes we just need a little reminder that there are things bigger than ourselves.