foofers

One who lurks.
Apr 3, 2005
SF, CA
Helpful link for your smells:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_central/automotive/2423551.html

(5) SMELLS LIKE: ROTTEN EGGS

WHEN: Any time your engine is running.
THE CULPRIT: Hydrogen sulfide in the exhaust, which is produced by trace amounts of sulfur in gasoline. It's supposed to be converted to sulfur dioxide in your catalytic converter. This may be indicative of a fuel-injection problem, and can be cured by a sharp mechanic. But often it means a failed catalytic converter. The bad news: A new cat is expensive. The good news is it's probably covered under warranty. Check with your dealer.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
HKSupra said:
Dead CAT.

TooGoode said:
i seem to be getting a rotten egg smell coming from my supra once it warms up....the cat is new....so whats up?

wow. read the post...

incredible...

-shaeff

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
OKAY!! Enough of the cracking already. I've never heard of exhaust smelling like eggs either.

First- Figure out where the smell is coming from, try the car on and let it idle, don't pop the hood leave it closed. Go to the tail pipe and see if there's any smell.

Second- With car still running go up and pop the hood and smell (It's probably there.)

What I suspect:

Battery. I work at Advance and Liquid filled battery smell like Rotten Eggs when they're about to go. I usually get about two everytime I work. Also with the car running listen and see if the battery liquid is boiling ( yes it sounds like water boiling. ) Or if all else fails get it tested at Advance, Autozone, O'reily, whatever. Or just grab a DVOM and run the car and see how many volts is getting to the battery. Just touch positive and ground. Should be around 13.5v if it's like 16v it could be cooking the battery, overcharging it.

Hope this helps you out man, Later.

mk3ftMFw

Mini Toon Burnout!! FTW!!
Jan 24, 2007
Cincy
sulfur smells like eggs, sulfur is in the exhaust. Break in the new cat... see if it goes away. Freon doesnt smell like eggs... It's almost oderless from an A/C leak, most of the time you just notice it because your short of breathe.

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
Down but not out said:
Cats smell eggy when your engine is over fueling and the cat gets hot.

Usually that would put out the smell with black smoke I'ld figure, if it's just the smell, I would figure the battery. Or at least check it.

HKSupra

boosting
Sep 16, 2007
SoCal
starscream5000 said:
Facinating was more of the word I was thinking of...

Okay... in my experience with the smell coming from the car along with a shop who tunes turbocharged vehicles which they have mentioned before a shot Cat smelling like "rotten eggs" from getting way too hot. And yes I did read the Post. Thanks.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
mk3ftMFw said:
sulfur smells like eggs, sulfur is in the exhaust. Break in the new cat... see if it goes away. Freon doesnt smell like eggs... It's almost oderless from an A/C leak, most of the time you just notice it because your short of breathe.

Almost every new car smells like rotten eggs when pushed really hard. It is from the new catalytic converter breaking in. It normally takes a few thousand miles to get rid of the smell.

If you have bad odors beyond this break-in period, your catalytic converter is overheating because of some running problem - 02 sensor or FI problems come to mind first.