Should I move to California? Why or why not?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Florida is pretty bad as well economy wise.

Keep in mind I've been all over the country and while I do enjoy many thing in Cali (Yosemite and the coastal highway come to mind) the rest is fail. The people there have ruined the state.

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
Poodles;1484308 said:
Florida is pretty bad as well economy wise.

Keep in mind I've been all over the country and while I do enjoy many thing in Cali (Yosemite and the coastal highway come to mind) the rest is fail. The people there have ruined the state.

isn't the feds at the doorstep of cali right now ready to start their repo? :nono: the job market from what i hear is pretty nast. Economic failure good place to visit though for vacations! i just wouldn't move there...it used to be my dream as well but i realized that maybe ill just visit there whenever i can fund the money. (which is never cause its severely insanely high priced)

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I love these opinions guys! Keep any coming. I will have to visit to get the dream out of my head and see if I could even like it there I guess.
eric

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
What I meant was; for now it's just a dream without any concrete evidence. If I go and see the true California, then I will get rid of my fictional dream with the real stuff. Although you're right, if it's as good as I'm dreaming of then I'll have even more dreams of it :biglaugh:.
eric

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
WTF.

You guys are basing where you live on the car laws?

As long as your car passes the sniffer you have no worries.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Kai;1484014 said:
California = Commiefornia. Too many restrictions on what you can and can't do. But then again, you're from Canada, so you might be used to that ;)

You're from the U.K.

care to tell us about your car laws and speed cameras?

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
blog.highoctanephotos.com
heh... i think it's easy to lose track of how good things are *anywhere* when you spend too long there and you actually notice all the bad things....

as seems to come up again and again, there really is no utopia... and if there was, would you really want to live there?

for me, "living the dream" would mean i found a way to live half the year here in Western Australia (our drag racing season) and the other half based in California, again, doing something that gave me time to shoot a heap of motorsport....

is that ever going to happen? probably not....

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
everybody has modded cars around here so thats not really a problem as long as your not speeding..if i were you i would go to the bay thats were the moneys at plus theres a lot of shit to do out there....just my opinion la aint bad neither....

Last edited:

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
Its crossed my mind, moving to Cali. Having my car there was one of the first problems I had to solve. But like I said, Ive got a way that is totally legal to buy my insurance from ICBC and have the car in California. Its not the end if the world, I guess unless your already 1J'd like me, but minor details can be ironed out.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
All the naysayers don't seem to live here. Best weather in the country is SoCal. You want high humidity and hurricanes, move to Florida or Gulf Coast. Want your car to turn to rust, try those places again, or midwest or east coast.

Why is it expensive to live in California.... because people like to live here. Why is a huge house $200k in Podunk... because no one wants to live there.

Today was 70 degF, sunny and pleasant. I had lunch outside. Ask the east coast/midwest guys how their weather is today.

For high tech, NoCal unless you are doing RF/Microwave. Then SoCal is better.

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Exactly. I want to dine outside near the beach in january wearing light clothing. Today I bundled up in scarf and toque and mits to go out. The car thing isn't an issue; I'd work with what I was given. If i had to comply with smog laws and buy only carb legal parts, and have working emissions control gear I wouldn't care. I just want the rest of California too. Except maybe the gangs and death; I'd rather not die.
eric

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
3p141592654;1485659 said:
All the naysayers don't seem to live here. Best weather in the country is SoCal. You want high humidity and hurricanes, move to Florida or Gulf Coast. Want your car to turn to rust, try those places again, or midwest or east coast.

Why is it expensive to live in California.... because people like to live here. Why is a huge house $200k in Podunk... because no one wants to live there.

Today was 70 degF, sunny and pleasant. I had lunch outside. Ask the east coast/midwest guys how their weather is today.

For high tech, NoCal unless you are doing RF/Microwave. Then SoCal is better.

QFT.

SoreCAL is the place to be; Minus the people. ;)

Bay Area is also number one for my list; of where to live. Nice people and nice weather.

The Valley is number 2; it's okay. But i'd rather be in SoreCal or Bay Area.

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
blog.highoctanephotos.com
Western Australia has _Very_ similar weather to Central California, maybe thats why I like it so much, it seems like home... :)

The sun sets over the ocean, just like it should... everything feels right about the place...

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Where in live in CA there is really no emission laws,you have to smog ONLY on title change.And the cops aren't trained for anything if your pulled over.Only problem is its in the middle of nowhere.(i live about 45 mins east of sacramento)

TopSecret

"Fudge you, butthole!"
Sep 4, 2005
BC
I'm not trying to sound like an asshole but if you have to ask people if you should move somewhere... don't move.

You say it's your dream, yet you want other people's opinions instead of making your own.

You wanna live there, maybe forever? Start by going there for like 6 months to a year, go to work, go to school, go out, drive... live. Then go back home. From my experience, if it's a place where you wanna spend the rest of your life, you will know as soon as you come back home.

I moved from Germany to Canada. Canada has it's faults and retarded people and retarded laws but I've never felt more at home. I had no doubts when I moved, I never looked back, I never did regret my decision. What I'm trying to say is, I never had to ask anyone whether I should do this or not... I knew I wanted to do it.