Should I move to California? Why or why not?

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Hey guys,

It's been my dream to move to California once school is done in 2 yrs or so. I would try going for school (to get my masters degree), but I would appreciate some reasons why or why I should or shouldn't go there. I dream of the beach, and sunshine with hot weather, and hotter people ;). Tell me if this is how it would be, or if I'm simply making California better than it is.

Btw, I'm getting my Bachelor's degree in Industrial Design right now, so the master's would be around that area, but I haven't looked into schools yet.

eric

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
I haven't been there but I always wanted to go see what the fuss is all about. I do know that I'm a car nut, and a Tekken nut... and both of those always end up in CA in some way shape or form. I also hate cold sucky winters.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Yeah that's what I hear about the laws. Getting pulled over for illegal modifications sounds retarded. I hope that shit doesn't spread or I think we are losing some of freedoms America was founded on.

WetBoostedDreams

Supra Fanatic
Apr 4, 2007
Redmond, WA
The weather varies GREATLY in different parts of California. The warm, sunny beaches and hot people you have in mind are in Southern California. (Prepare for major gold-digging, fake people, very congested traffic, way too many people per square mile, and a VERY high cost of living.) I grew up near Lake Tahoe at 6000' elevation near the ski resorts in Northern California. We had snow half the year - often upwards of six feet at a time - and it was never hot in the summer. I now live in the foothills/valley near Sacramento where it can easily exceed 105 degrees in the summer and can occasionally snow. The central coast is GORGEOUS but horrendously expensive. There are BFE areas all over the state and many agricultural areas (read: lots of cows and that wonderful "fertilizer" smell). SoCal and the Sacramento areas have a heavy layer of smog in the air, so if you're asthmatic or sensitive to shitty air it'll probably give you grief.

More importantly, as Kai mentioned, say buh-bye to your rights. We have VERY strict emissions and gun laws and the government is doing its best to take away your remaining rights. The state is basically bankrupt - did you hear they gave out IOUs instead of tax returns last year? Of course, if you owed any state income taxes, you were expected to pay on time as usual. Our economy is pretty shitty right now even compared to many other states.

The bottom line, as usual, is that if it's what you want, go for it! Just know what you're getting into. Spend some time here, explore various areas of the state, and make sure it's something that will work for you. If you ever come down to the Sacramento area, feel free to get in touch. :)

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Cali is known for its modification nazis. Not an ideal home for a tuner, yet there seem to be so many there. What about Florida? Another option is to buy a shack in Arizona or Nevada, or make a friend in one of these states. Have that be your legal address, so you can rock AZ or NV plates, effectively bypassing all of cali's mod laws. Other than that, cali seems like it would be a cool place, I'd like to visit someday.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Well, I sort of expected certain types of replies, as california seems either a love or a hate place. I am still enamoured by her though :p, so I may have to visit sometime before making a final decision. I guess my dream is in socal then, with the beaches and all, but if it's rediculously pricey then maybe not.

wetboosteddreams, I'll have to take you up on that, if I remember when the time comes. Maybe some sightseeing directed by you on cool places would be in order.
eric

WetBoostedDreams

Supra Fanatic
Apr 4, 2007
Redmond, WA
There's a pretty decent Supra scene in SoCal, including a lot of MKIIIs, so that could be fun for you. Try to get in touch with some of those guys to get more information about that area - I've only been down there once. When you come to visit, you MUST visit the coast. And take it from someone who moved to a very different state sight-unseen: DO NOT MOVE UNTIL YOU'VE VISITED! You can thank me later. :)

TLDriver

Jul 29, 2008
Ventura, California
If you are in LA or bigger cities you are pretty harassed by the cops. I been modding my cars since 2000 and have only got 1 fix it ticket for my modded exhaust. Smog well a lot of people don't mod their cars enough to fail it and if you do knowing the right people will help you pass it. I am South of Santa Barbara (20 min) and North of LA (45 min) and the houses here are about 250k (low end or condo) to over a few mill. Rent for a 3 bd room nice apt is about 1500 -1800 bucks. Oxnard is a bit cheaper and it's the town over but it's been called/seen as the "ghetto" of Ventura County. Hope this helps a bit.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
Check with your insurance company. I know with mine theres something called territory X. Basicly insurance for cars not being operated outside of BC.

Other than the fucked up laws about cars, cause Ive got a way around it, what the job market like? Anything for someone trying to work legally?

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
blog.highoctanephotos.com
why not? the carb laws...

why? everything else :)

especially if you're only planning on moving there for a few years, thats a couple of years of keeping your car rego'd out of state, or leave your car with family if it's too far modified already, or keep it stock if it's not yet modified... play with older cars for a while.. bear in mind that pre-75 cars are carb exempt... if you're like me and get turned on by anything with wheels, then there's plenty of room to move pre-75...

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
honestabe;1484071 said:
If you want to enjoy the beaches, move to Florida since the car laws there are pretty lax.

Poodles;1484169 said:
Hell, look at the gulf coast of Texas...

These are really the only 2 sane options you have if you want beach front. Cali is not what it's made out to be. Unless you have a SHIT ton of money to live the "good" life (ahem, fake life).

NOW if you don't mind being without beach front, but want a state that is actually worth a shit, has tons of curvy roads, relaxed laws all the way around, has 4 seasons, and a housing and job market that is still ok...then (holy hell I can't believe I'm gonna say this) move to TN...A ton of people from cali are moving here.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Poodles;1484169 said:
Hell, look at the gulf coast of Texas...

The Gulf coast of Texas is pretty nasty until you get way down south, and then you're in BFE little Mexico. Texas is a great place to live and the cost of living here is very reasonable compared to California. Stretch, go pay California a visit. I've been there several times and love it....but I would NOT ever ever live there. About three days of it is all I can handle. Look a Florida. The beaches are beautiful and the water is crystal clear.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I live a few miles from downtown LA...

its not as bad as you think it is here, just keep to yourself and do your job and you'll be good..

It makes perfect sense to get pulled over for illegal modifications; they're illegal!!

That's like saying it makes no sense to get thrown in jail for illegal drugs...

anyway, California's climate varies greatly, we have deserts, mountains, valleys, and beaches. We have small towns and large cities. It'll take you almost half a day to drive from the most southern tip of California to the most northern. California has the lowest point in North America, and it's even home to the snowiest city in the country...