Short shifter...B&M....IS300...W58...R154

turbomk3

Apr 1, 2005
we need a clear write up of this because it is getting thrown back and forth!!! i would like to do this, but i dont understand if you use a stock or a band m stick...lmk thanks

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
band m??

you use a spacer you make and also mod the tranny and the spacer that comes with the B&M shifter

also i was asking if i can get the hat off my extra tranny to use as the spacer without removing it

john

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
HOW TO DO THE MOD:

1. You buy the B&M short shifter kit for the Lexus IS300 ( with the W58 tranny)

2. You go to a junk yard and grab a spare W-48 tranny hat, cut the tip top off where the 4 bolts go into. as seen in the previous pics.

3. Then you must drill new holes for the 4 bolts to attach THROUGH the W58 spacer into the R154 bolt hole pattern spacing. The B&M IS300 shifter's bolt pattern is too "small"...so you must cut holes about 1/8th inch wider...when you have the items in front of you, you can tell how far it needs to be cut. This is actually to me the easy part.

3.5. Go to the hardware store and buy some long bolts for the tranny adapter...the stock bolts will be too short to fit through the B&M plate and the spacer and still hit the threads onthe stock R154 hat. Allen key heads are the strongest...get grade 8 carbon steel if you can.

4. Take our your center panal console (spelling) and unbolt the shifter. This is where I cut my fingers..LOL

5. unbolt stock shifter, and stick the B&M shifter in place with spacer.

6. Bolt it in there...DO NOT over tighten the bolts. Carbon steel is alot harder than aluminum. You can strip the threads EASILY. So rule of thumb, when its tight...its tight. Dont over tighten.

7. Put console back on. And go drive. Its as simple as that.

PS: Give me some tips Mkiiiowner, I want to make sure we get this stickied or something! Your input is much needed on this right up since you are the one that did it in the first place! :icon_surp

-Jonathan

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
dude John, if you still have your parts car you just need the B&M and the bolts and your good! Seems like some good info here...something I might look into.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
i was with all of this till the w48.....why do i have to use a w48 tranny hat.....and more over what did that tranny come in?

i have an extra w58 tranny. how exactly does the hat come off??

yeah jake i wanna do this right away but right now i'm holding back for a DDP and test pipe!!!

john

mkiiiowner

Apr 26, 2005
San Diego, ca
I think siman means w58. But, anytranny hat from the older 5sp supras or supracelicas would work. In order for you to remove the hat from the tranny, you need to undo the tranny mount so that it would drop down a couple inches, thus, gives you more room to stick your tool in there. I'll add more details later.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
the W58 came in the N/A supra....if that is wrong, someone PLEASE correct this!

you need the hat for extra height.....since the IS300 shifter is taller than the supra shifter PERIOD. So to make it work, you must have the "adapter" to make it work right.

The hat comes off ( on both R154 and W58 ) with 6 big bolts...not accessible through the hole in the tranny well though...it must be out of the car OR droppped down by un mounting the tranny so you can reach the bolts from inside the cabin.

Its plug and play when you get it done, and put in the supra.

EDIT: wow, mkiiiowner just said the exact same thing as me at the same time LOL :biglaugh:

Last edited:

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
alright siman and/or mkiiiowner i have a hat now and i need either sepcs on size or a detailed picture....i'd prefur both if i could get them :D

my dad has a metal lathe and metal working tools so i could mill the bottom down to the right spec i just need to know how much to take off.

john

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
This is how far the pins need to be cut down:

attachment.php

If you look closely, you can see how Mkiiiowner widend the holes on the blue base part of the B&M shifter to accomodate the R154 hat spacing for the 4 bolts.
attachment.php

attachment.php

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
you will still have to use the spacer and all of this....the mk3 R154 and W58 has a shorter hat height and overall shorter shifter mechanism..of course our mechanical throws are longer.

the IS300 W58 is the same INTERNAL transmission....but the shifter linkages are longer overall than the supras.....hence the spacer.

make sense?

-Jonathan

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
i know all that, but is there anyway you can give me an up and down measure like the distance from R145 tranny hat to the bottom of the B&M shifter

......in other words how 'tall' my spacer needs to be, it's not the full size that i have is it?! that seams way too high.[note i do not have an actual shifter yet]

john

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
LOL dude, just go off the pictures...they are worth 1000 words :biglaugh:

You cant really do it without the shifter.......and My car is a daily driver..and I dont want to cut two of my fingers again on that metal plate in the dust cover.....too risky. :nono:

Just get the B&M off ebay or something and then do the measurements when you have everything in front of you.....dont guess at it.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
thats fine i would have probably ended up using the shifter to get it exact.........not to mention another two fingers could really play hell on that 2nd-3rd shift for you.....haha

thanks for all the info fellas after i get mine done i might make a few spacers for the MD pepl. but like i said priceless info, awesome job!!

john

mkiiiowner

Apr 26, 2005
San Diego, ca
picture 1 shows you how to cut the top part out. Make sure that you don't cut out the base of the top piece where the green bushing rest onto.

picture 2 After cutting, you'll end up with what inside of the red square box that I drew.

What you want to do now is grind down all the excess edges so you can have a flat surface to mount your shifter onto. You'll be mounting this spacer up side down so this flat surface will attach to the bottom of your shifter. You don't have to measure how thick your spacer because that's how thick it needs to be.

Now, you need to drill the four bolt holes all the way through, cut the two pins and enlarge the middle hole (pic 3) until your shifter could drop into it. That's what you need to do for the spacer.

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 96

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Think it may be possible to take the shifter apart a little and set it in a lathe to shave down a little material where it's fat under the threads? I don't like it, but I can deal..
Still, I know how to use a lathe now, and have access to one.

I guess I'll find out when I get my shifter.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
The thing is its a direct linkage shifter unit though....this one has no spring and no real soft bushing...it feels like you are actually moving metal...which is GOOD.

If you shave down the neck of the shifter too much, and love to speed shift....your looking to break the shifter in HALF.

I like the beefy look of the shifter.....its just me.

-Jonathan