Short shifter...B&M....IS300...W58...R154

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Maybe me and Mkiiiowner could make some kits for some people? Buy some B&M shifters at whole sale and buy the tranny pieces and convert them and then sell them as a "kit"?

That would be cool and inexpensive way to get a real good quality shifter unit under $200 bucks....though finding someone to get us the B&M's at wholesale might be tricky...and warranty would be an issue...but maybe we could work something out?

just really thinking on a broad scale thought. :kaboom:

-Jonathan

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
mkiiiowner said:
here are the pictures:
The first picture is how everything look bolted up together. The second pic shows the spacer. It's the top part of a w58 shifter housing. The fourth pic shows the two pins that have cut. I'm selling the whole thing for $95 shipped. I'll also include longer bolts. If you want my housing with the cut pins, I'll include it but you're going to have to send me your r154 housing so that I can use the stock shifter again. Post any questions if you want to do it yourself. I'll be more than happy to help.
I see you have the HKS 75mm Turbo Exhaust. Nice choice. :D

That shifter looks pretty nice.

mkiiiowner

Apr 26, 2005
San Diego, ca
Yes, it's the 75mm hks. I like quiet mufflers. But, I only have the muffler welded to the 3" pipe. I bought it from a guy while back. Don't know why he cut off the muffler. If I can afford it, I would go for the hks hi-power cat back. I've heard a sound clip on the Takaira website and it sounds just perfect.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
a kit sounds like a really good idea even if the kit was only the spacer and install hardware....now there is an idea! make an install kit so that the only thing the supra owner needs is the IS300 shifter and to grind down the pins in the R154. make a nice diagram showing how to prep, instal, and maybe a serial number or part number for the right shifter...

this is really something we could use, and at the right price everyone could enjoy a REAL short throw shifter finally!!

john

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
I got it from mkiiiowner....GREAT SELLER GUYS!

I love the shifter, so much more notchy and DIRECT!

I will get some install pics and what not, and some pics of my cut and bloody fingers LOL hahahahahha :naughty:

Anywho, I will update this in the following days...

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
mkiii owner is there any chance i can get an adapter peice from you??? or 'blue prints'???

or siman, if you have the know how to duplicate the spacer that you recieved????

can either of you help out?!?!

john

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
dont fret.
i am getting pictures tommorow!

Its VERY simple. the anodized blue aluminum piece on the bottem of the shifter must be re-drilled...the stock 4 holes are too close together so they have to be cut out....then you cut the two pin things inside the tranny hole hat and slide the shifter on and use the extended bolts that you sourced from your local hardware store.

When you see the pics, you will COMPLETELY understand what needs to be done.

ALSO, tonight at a local "cruise in" ( before we get despersed by the cops every weekend) I had around 5 people sit in the supra and shift the shifter.....the faces were priceless...

they could not believe the accuracy and the FEEL of the shifter....its COMPLETELY different than stock. You actually have to give it some effort to shift it...and when its in gear..there is ABSOLUTELY NO PLAY from side to side or back and forth. its that tight!

I am 200% satisfied with this shifter! :love:

-Jonathan

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
sounds like a hott ticket man! so then you don't need to fab a spacer at all just redrill the blue one??? if so that is awesome i'll buy the next ebay IS300 shifter i find!

john

P.S. are you saying this spacer pictured is not neccesary?
attachment.php

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
it IS neccissary....BECAUSE the IS300 shifter is actually LONGER than the stock R154 shifter...so you must buy or gank( lol ) another hat piece and cut the top off and then cut the two positioning needles down...really easy IMO if you have a dremel.

I believe if I did this mod, personally, It would take an hour tops.

And its SOOOO worth it!

-Jonathan

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
The last two pics are of the shifting throw.....from 1st to 2nd gear.

I have a video...but it seems to large to upload on the upload thingy....so if someone can host it that would be GREAT!

-Jonathan

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
alloyguitar said:
this seems like a great idea, i'd like to see a write up on it...

dood, all the info is here in these 3 last pages....LOL :rofl: MkIIIowner already did It and I bought it from him....it works BEUTIFULLY....now my brother finally sat in the car just now and felt it.....he is sold on one. :icon_razz

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
If anyone wants the video, shoot me an email. I will load up a email list and send it out all at once!

so send me an email at qr25@comcast.net if you want the video. Its only like 15 seconds long...rowing through the gears...but you can see vividly the shorter throw ( like 70% reduction no joke) and direct click as it is in gear!

-Jonathan

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Man, I hate how it looks near the top, the fat part before it becomes the skinny threaded part of the rod. Ugh.. can you remove that, or get the shift boot up over that?
Still, for a <$200 short shifter, that's decent.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
I just left the boot off....yes you can fit the stock boot over it...same size as the stock shift knob neck...

I actually like the look of it...very "sequential" looking...and it sounds the part too!

I am getting another shift knob...the Top Secret ones...they look nearly identicle....becuase veilside stopped making these knobs they are virutally unobtainable....moreover the 5 speed sticker layout...so TS here i come.

I am also going to order a can of Top Secrest Fusion oil in 15W50 weight. It actually has graphite additive in it to keep leaks from occuring and also aids in lubrication...its $80 for 7 liters.... :icon_surp

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
I thought your knob looked like the Greddy/Trust knob - the chrome one with a blue emblem. It looks like the one I have sitting here by my desk. It's waiting for a threaded short shifter - and one of these B&M ones just might be it.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
drunk_medic said:
I thought your knob looked like the Greddy/Trust knob - the chrome one with a blue emblem. It looks like the one I have sitting here by my desk. It's waiting for a threaded short shifter - and one of these B&M ones just might be it.

I have the veilside one...the greddy is chrome...I dont like chrome :icon_mad:

The Top Secret is just as nice, but a little fatter than the VS.....I like fat alumium...hehehehe

I just put on my strut bar too...really nice!

-Jonathan

mkiiiowner

Apr 26, 2005
San Diego, ca
jester1341, the adaptor is just the top part of a w58 shifter housing that I got in a junkyard. as far as dimensions, I think Siman could give you the dimensions if you want to build a spacer from scratch. I'm not going to provide a kit for this but I'll answer all questions for the people who want to do it themselves. As Siman have said. Read the first and second page of this thread. Most answers should be in there. Post up questions that you can't find answers otherwise. Thanks!

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
i'm so glad that this post has come to a positive answer, since it started before the hack and was never finished....

anyway... could i 'gank' the hat from a tranny that is still installed in a car[my parts car]??? i've got a dremel and extensive hours using it! wait to do this!!!

john

mkiiiowner

Apr 26, 2005
San Diego, ca
I cut the pins while the hat is still in the car. What i did was stuffing a wet paper in the round hole and carefully taking it out taking care not to drop any ground metal pieces in the tranny after I'm done cutting the pins. I used the same technique to wipe the remaning of the stuffs out of the housing. Hope that helps.