Short pronunciation question from a foreigner

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
lmao, its not ABOOT nothin, just playin. sadly i also havn't ever heard another canadian pronounce about "aboot". i think i shall start just to reinforce the steriotype :D

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
"blame canada" eh?

So, do you guys really have beady eyes and flapping heads too? :biglaugh:

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
some of us do, i had flappy head reduction surgurey myself... i sometimes miss having my head fly 6" above my lower jaw when i talk but its the price i pay to look this beautiful :hsugh:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
USA likes to think they own the English language and can make changes at will, lol.

"Zed" is taught in schools for the most part here, but since we are so close to the USA a lot of stuff from there comes up here, as such, both "Zed" and "Zee" are used.

Yes, I use both. All the time in fact, I'll use "Zed" in some instances, and "Zee" in others, depending on what sounds better to me.

"300-Zed-Ex"
"Zed-28"

"4A-G-Zee-E"

Sometimes I say "350-Zee" sometimes "350-Zed", it's sort of random on that front. ;). Overall I'd say I use "Zed" more, but throw the occasional "Zee" in for good measure.

PS: Cheque owns check, you noobs. They're two different words!

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sorry, just found this pic and thought it was funny :)

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
i wonder if in japan its a zedex or a zee ex,,

im with jeff.. i say 300zedex but also 1j zee

oh and on a sidenote... the pronounciation "zee" was developed to enhance the rhyming of the latter portion of the alphabet song.

TopSecret

"Fudge you, butthole!"
Sep 4, 2005
BC
We watched the goodamn South Park movie last night.... it was funny as usual :D

Anyway, I learned it the hard way too, flo.... lol
Its 300 zed-ex but when referring to the letter itself its zee... like someone else said: 350 zee. At least thats how we do it in good old BC.

I was rather confused too but you learn fast when you are surrounded by north americans all day and night. Especially north american car nuts.

Well, screw you guys, Im going home.

Troyota

I Love What You Do For Me
Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
Oh yeah, well you are just a bunch of "Uncle Fuckers"

;)

I have heard and identified Canadians by the way they pronounce "About" as "Aboot." It does happen, maybe you just don't notice. Since you hear it that way all the time?!?

All that I've gathered is that some Canadians can't decide which way they want it. At least for me a "Z" is a "Zee" and that's that!

:D

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Troyota said:
Oh yeah, well you are just a bunch of "Uncle Fuckers"

;)

I have heard and identified Canadians by the way they pronounce "About" as "Aboot." It does happen, maybe you just don't notice. Since you hear it that way all the time?!?

All that I've gathered is that some Canadians can't decide which way they want it. At least for me a "Z" is a "Zee" and that's that!

:D

I'd love to meet a single Canadian that says Aboot. If you ever see one, let me know where he's from, because I know people from all over the country and have never heard anyone say that ever. If I ever did, I would be just as confused and amused as anyone from the USA.

Chances are they were trying to screw with you, lol.

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
dude this aboot rumour is ridiculous. the only canadians that would speak like that would be some weird boonies-living lumberjack mother fuckers.