Short pronunciation question from a foreigner

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
There's something I've wondered about for quite some time now, so I figured I'd just ask the native speakers on here.... :)
In school I learned that in English the letter "Z" when standing alone is pronounced "zed". However, I've often heard it being pronounced "zee" (mostly by Americans IIRC) but couldn't find out which pronunciation applies when.

Is that some British / American English thing or does it depend on the context or is "zee" maybe just more kewl/l33t ?
It'd be great if someone could shed some light on this :)

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
Cool, thanks for the quick answers. You learn something new everday...
It's probably the same as with the word "bonnet"? "Hood" / "zee" in North America, "bonnet" / "zed" in the rest of the english-speaking world? :D

How about the Canadians, I've seen some of them use British spelling (like "colour"), do they say "zee" too?

edit:
speaking of Z cars, is a 300ZX in the US a 300-zee-ex? Not 300-zed-ex? I'll have to get used to that one...

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
haha yeah we call them ZEE cars, ZEE EX.

I couldn't imagine calling it a ZED EX, reminds me of the shipping company FED EX, lol

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
honsly i think 300 zed -ex sounds cooler.
who says 300 zee-ex:aigo:

but yah zed was taught in canadian schools as far as I know
I think the only reson the amaricans say zee is so that it rhyms with the ABC song just so they can learn it easier:naughty: :biglaugh:

lol j/k about the learning easier part anyway

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
first time i ever heard you yanks say you called it zee-ex. Man that sounds wierd! Yeah and silent_sniper is right I think they say zee because it rhymes with (c) so learning the alphabet is easier for the southern half of north america. Us canadians can handle the Zed :biglaugh:
eric

Allan_MA70

Banned
May 1, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Pffft Americans... went to war to get rid of the English and then keep the imperial system

Well i guess nothing changes... went to war with Iraq to take there oil but left the crazy Muslims in charge