Shifter question??

MK3_Turbo

JZZ31
Mar 31, 2005
Arkansas
www.myspace.com
i was just wondering...does chopping down the shifter really help?? or should i just go with a short throw shifter...they cost so much though!:nono: i found a short throw shifter on ebay for like $150+s/h but not sure if it is good.

ohh yeah..another question my supra seems to smoke when i rev it up..the smoke is white...is that suppose to be normal?? i'm still pretty new to supras..i dont really know it does that. it also smoked when i raced my cousin's civic Si on the highway..i of course pull him and then he told that there was smoke coming out when i let off the gas to slow down. i only pushed it to like 5k rpm.

Last edited:

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
Choping the shifter makes shifting shorter, but a whole lot harder to shift. Search for the IS300 B&M shifter mod, I think that is the best ss for under $200.

BHG.............. :bigthumb:

supratkfy

Mar 30, 2005
San Francisco
yea cutting the shifter makes it hard to shift and isn't really making the throws shorter...the c's is a good short throw shifter but just cost too much....i've been wanting onebut don't wanna pay the $300

as for the white smoke, that means coolant, water...was teh MHG installed by you? check to make sure the car is not overheating, check the coolant to see if it has milky paste to it....

Sonex2000

Apr 3, 2005
You don't have to cut the stock shifter. If you take a blow torch to the black plastic part on the top of the shifter. You can actually take it off all together. After that you can get an after market shifter knob....or making threading on the new shifter. and viola!!! shortshifter. COST: 15min and a blowtorch.

Note: make sure you got some wrenches. b/c that shit get hot QUICK!!

thanks Yonkers87T

BoostFreak

Nov 11, 2005
Ohio
no the turbo shot would be blue or oil smoke and you would see alot of oil in your intake.
smoke colors
black-rich the smeell burns your eyes and nose
white-coolent and smeels sweet
blue-oil smells like a civic, also could be that a smerf as been sucked into your masive turbo

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
you guys are blowing the SOGI short shift mod way out of proportion. mine is even shorter than that calls for, and i dont have trouble shifting... get some good tranny oil, new bushings, and some muscle. ;)

be prepared to miss shifts whilst driving agressively with a true short shifter.

-shaeff

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
IHI-RHC7 said:
That's cause your head did the banana dance though.
LOL nope it was from inhaling a gut full of oil after the Injector torched a piston pressurised the sump blew oil into the intake through the turbo and into the chambers! (oil doesn't compress so something had to let go) ;)

cruzinbill

SC3TT
Jun 26, 2005
Arkansas
hey I thought Yee or one of the OK supra guys had one of the shortened ones if i remeber correctly you should see, and if so try it out on their car and see if you like it at all

MK3_Turbo

JZZ31
Mar 31, 2005
Arkansas
www.myspace.com
cruzinbill said:
hey I thought Yee or one of the OK supra guys had one of the shortened ones if i remeber correctly you should see, and if so try it out on their car and see if you like it at all

Both the OK supras have the short shifters...they look way better..i'm thinkin of just using the blow torch(15min. Short shifter):icon_bigg oh yeah and Yee sold his supra....SO SAD!!! he's got a '93(i think?) Sentra SE-R with the SR20de soon to be boosted.

Last edited:

MK3_Turbo

JZZ31
Mar 31, 2005
Arkansas
www.myspace.com
supratkfy said:
yea cutting the shifter makes it hard to shift and isn't really making the throws shorter...the c's is a good short throw shifter but just cost too much....i've been wanting onebut don't wanna pay the $300

as for the white smoke, that means coolant, water...was teh MHG installed by you? check to make sure the car is not overheating, check the coolant to see if it has milky paste to it....

i didn't put the MHG on...the guy i bought my supra from said he put one on already..it not overheating, it stays right in the middle. it does smells sweet either...i know the smell of the white coolant smoke. the smoke comin from my supra smells kind of like oil..:icon_conf

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Just so you know, you don't need a blow torch to do the SOGI shifter mod, just grab onto the shifter with some vise grips or channel locks and twist...

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
no heat, no tools, just muscle. and whatever you do don't hack up your stock shifter. do it right. you'll like it better.
1j: could you elaborate a little more on your bhg theory?