shifter is loose while in gear.

USPturbo89

COONASS MAFIA MEMBER
Nov 2, 2008
M-Town Avoyelles parish La.
Ok well when i put my shift into any gear i can wiggle it around "as if its in neutral" but its not. it stays in gear but is just wobbley. i contacted marlin crawler for the shifter bushings and gave them the part number that i was given by another member and said it was an old number. so i told them to just give me the shifter seat and another little part. but i don't think thats going to solve my problem. does anyone know if i could just bring it to the toyota dealer and have it just replaced? i have a friend that will do it for free at the shop.?? any suggestions? please and thank you.

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
goto driftmotion.com and look for the shifter bushing for an r154 transmission. while youre at it you might want to look into the sogi short shift mod if youre running a stock shifter. it will transform your car and it will shift 100x better

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
yeah, I ordered the shifter bushing, the green bushing, gasket, and the 4 bolts from Toyota...

I did it for my 89 and it completely changed the way it felt, super tight and notchy..!

nnate1228

Dec 4, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
USPturbo89;1375955 said:
Ok well when i put my shift into any gear i can wiggle it around "as if its in neutral" but its not. it stays in gear but is just wobbley. i contacted marlin crawler for the shifter bushings and gave them the part number that i was given by another member and said it was an old number. so i told them to just give me the shifter seat and another little part. but i don't think thats going to solve my problem. does anyone know if i could just bring it to the toyota dealer and have it just replaced? i have a friend that will do it for free at the shop.?? any suggestions? please and thank you.

Hi,

I had the same problem and wanted to get a short shifter anyway. Unfortunately, for the MKIII they were $200 and up. I found the below article about the shift mod and the bushings. I figured I would give it a try and love it. The old shifter was so tall it looked like a truck shifter. The new shorter shifter was much better and I ordered the bushings from marlincrawler for around $16. My shifter is tight and doesnt slop around at all. One of the cheapest mods I did that made such a big difference. The below article has step by step instructions and pictures.

http://www.azsupras.com/azsupras/sogishortshift.html

Last edited:

nnate1228

Dec 4, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
marlincrawler makes the best bushings made out of hardened urethane, not rubber, so they wont wear out as fast. For the bushings:

go to www.marlincrawler.com, click on "transmission" then "parts and upgrade" "heavy duty shifter seats" you want the white one, "all other toyota applications" its $10.

you also want the heavy duty shifter socket "all other common toyota applications" its $6.

I found out when my mechanic put in my turbo R154 tranny that my shifter was sloppy. Come to find out there was no bushings in there. :) Total time to do the short shifter mod and change the bushings was about 30 min. For $16 your completely changing the way your car shifts.

nnate1228

Dec 4, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Sorry, when I said short shifter I need to clarify. Correct, It shortens the actual shifter length, not the throw. It may feel like a slightly shorter throw because the actual shifter length is shorter.

Either way, the new bushings will solve the sloppy feel and I enjoy the shorter shifter length and I think it looks much better. Personal opinion.

Im 6'1 and have the seat all the way back, so I was worred about the way the armrest is set up, whether the stick shift being shorter would be difficult to reach or if I would have to lean forward. I had two shifters so I figured I would try the sogi mod out on one and see what happened. Turned out I liked it and I dont have to lean forward and its comfortable for my arm.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Your bushing may look something like that haha. I went from that to NashMans SS with new bushings car felt like I just drove out of the showroom. It easy and quick to swap out the bushings man, have at her.

Attachments

• DSC00226.jpg
    DSC00226.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 31

Clied

Wangan Supra
Jun 8, 2006
NorCal
I didn't use any grease when installing and my shifter worked fine but I don't know for sure if grease is necessary(maybe a bit of lithium white grease on the bushing?). You should try changing your transmission fluid while you have the shifter out if it hasn't been done yet. Just a thought...

USPturbo89

COONASS MAFIA MEMBER
Nov 2, 2008
yea i was thinking about that... but as for the grease i was just wondering so that way maybe the seat or bushing wouldnt crack or anything ya kno??? lol but ill ask my buddy at toyota and see what they say... thanks again bro

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Apparently tranny oil lubes it, but I put lubriplate on mine.(assembly grease)
I would put the oil being used in the tranny for an initial lube but thats just me.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I just replaced mine yesterday, took about half an hour, 2nd time I do it..

replaced the green bushing, shifter bushing, the 4 bolts, and the gasket....

got the parts from the Common part sticky in the articles section, now there's veeeeery little play when in gear...

USPturbo89

COONASS MAFIA MEMBER
Nov 2, 2008
RazoE;1376780 said:
I just replaced mine yesterday, took about half an hour, 2nd time I do it..

replaced the green bushing, shifter bushing, the 4 bolts, and the gasket....

got the parts from the Common part sticky in the articles section, now there's veeeeery little play when in gear...

Did you order your gasket seperatley or did it come with the bushing/seat/bolts? now im curious.... lol i didnt pull mine off yet so im not sure but where can i get the gasket? thanks

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yes, it requires grease (I cleaned all the old grease off first) as the top plate definately isn't going to be getting oil on it...

I used moly grease personally...