sf membership???

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
its not THAT pathetic, bandwidth is expensive.

i think the joke is funny, and it makes sense for them as well if they have to take down the site do to some clean up and updates.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Lagged: I didn't mean the joke was pathetic I meant not letting non members browse was.

The businesses that pay to advertise there aren't getting as much value as they would if it were open access.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
It's too bad our site got hacked and we're trying to rebuild right now. I usually come up with more amusing stuff than that stupid prank.... if you can call it that, lol.

In any case, there's always next year.

B

Boostaddctn

IJ. said:
GJ: Thanks again!

That's pathetic given the amount of paid advertising they have!

Move to a faster server!

Actually, we closed down registration to help the forums speed up and to stop all the spammers and scammers from coming back and with the clean up of getting rid of trolls we hope to speed the forums up faster, and those who keep seeing the SERVER IS OVERLOADED message, it is something set up by the admins to help keep the site from slowing down... aight peace

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Much as I agree with the sentiment from IJ, the reality is much more complicated than that. It's not like you can just buy a faster server and plug it in... It's *far* more complicated. If the problem is bandwidth, well, bigger pipes to the internet require new hardware to talk to the pipe, and that's a whole different ball of wax.

I work in the industry. Our web app has 40,000 subscribers - posting an upgrade for performance takes us months of planning, implementation, and testing prior to the actual event, and then usually only one long sleepless night of hectic work if everything goes right. Usually.

SF is facing some pretty ugly problems - like the fact that their Off Topic doesn't contribute much, if anything to their advertisers bottom line, and yet it seems to be responsible for the majority of their traffic. You can't just drop the off topic, it just doesn't work. So, what do you do?

They seem to have a viable plan over there... and I'm certain that if anyone has a better idea, they'd be all ears.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Bert: Did it work?

GJ: I understand the realities of it all I just think it was a strange way of dealing with their issues given they rely so heavily on sponsorship to keep running.

Unlike the situation here where it's really one or two benefactors that foot the bill! (Many thanks Mike and Co)

While I ditched my SF membership long ago I used to enjoy some of the threads there and followed them daily as there was a lot of great info to learn!

It was also interesting watching from an outsiders PoV when a newb made a foolish post the school of Pihrana tear him to pieces! (Would make a great case study for a Psych student)