See the Purolator PureOne new Purty filter

Who

Supramania Contributor
Shiny and Gold??? Has sparkles as well. I am almost embarrassed to install it in my car.

By the way the picture of the filter is not for a Supra. It is for a Ford. Ignore the numbers

Attachments

• purone.jpg
    purone.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

werewolves182

is without a supra :(
Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
Ive got one on my car. It makes it a hell of a lot easier to grip to get off...Especially if your 1JZ and have shit for room to get a filter off.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
All my Purolater's are White.:dunno:

I get them commercially though. Never gotten one from a store.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
It's probably nit-picking, but I don't like them because most have the gold flakes on the inside as well.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
mkIIIman089;1026725 said:
It's probably nit-picking, but I don't like them because most have the gold flakes on the inside as well.

Did you cut one open to see if this was in fact true?

I can see some of the "grit" getting on the rubber gasket, but if it's on the filter element, this filter would be on my "do not use" list.

Who

Supramania Contributor
Gees the things I do for Supramania. I just went and dug through the trash for the two empty pureone filter boxes. Bad News... I can say I do feel some grit loose on the inside of the box. I can't say for the inside of the filter as both are installed already.

By the way I did find a rebate at the purolator website for the oil and air filters good until July of 2008 http://www.pureoil.com/documents/rebates/2ns_rebate_form.pdf

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Grip on the outside is no big deal...just wipe the rubber gasket/end off and you are good. Inside, different story...the only way to determine that is by cutting a new filter open. Basically this is a standard PureOne filter with a coating on the outside for grip.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
jdub, I have not cut open a new one, I'm just predicting since it was clear the coating had been applied before the guts were put in the casing. When I looked they were all over the anti drain back as well.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Did a little research on this:
Purolator is going to this coating for all of the PureOne line of filters. It seems it's a quality control issue, especially on the initial run. The flakes you saw are primarily on the outside (yes, a couple geeks cut them open), but some did get through the center hole on the media...not a lot, enough to be seen though.

More recent production runs of this filter do not have the loose flakes. The marketing idiots at Purolator need to be slapped...change this coating to a different color and coat the only the domed end half. My recommendation would be to open the box before you buy one...or, just buy a Wix ;)

Edit: Come on guys, the box color doesn't mean squat. FYI - PureOne filters were blue...the cheaper made Purolator filters were white.
The box color had nothing to do with what's inside ;)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
jdub;1027614 said:
Edit: Come on guys, the box color doesn't mean squat. FYI - PureOne filters were blue...the cheaper made Purolator filters were white.
The box color had nothing to do with what's inside ;)

Who are you talking to?

I would be in love with the PureONE filters if they had a grippy part. I used to always get the Fram filters simply for the grip, but then found out they don't filter anything short of small pebbles, lol.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
The last Purolator I bought was blue, PureOne's only for me. Except the fact that I'm using a Wix filter here with 5 Neodimium (sp?) magnets on the outside "just in case".

PureOne's are hard to obtain in my location, thus the reason why I have a wix on now. Next thing on the "to buy" list is a fumoto and a PureOne (not to mention some Penzoil Plat 5W30) ;)

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
whowouldfigga;1025407 said:
Well I used them today and the grip is good but there are no markings on the filter so you have to guess how far you tightened it as far as the 3/4 to 1 full turn.

5 seconds with a Sharpie gets you markings. I've been doing that for years, right after I gave up on Fram. Put 4 marks on the end and you're done.

Sharpies even come in many colors, so you can match your paint... ;)

Asterix