Seat debate. Fixed or reclining safty?

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
Cage is not a problem. I got all the details figured out for it. I just cant start the install till I get the seat. Has to meet certain requirements as for distances from crossbar and roll bar to helmet.

I am going to get a fixed back.

Thanks bro.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Most reclineable seats aren't FIA approved. From the sounds of your setup (8pt cage, 10sec et's) you probably won't be doing much street driving? (so I assume you can deal with a fixed back) I have sat in a few fixed backs and I can definitley reccomend sitting in the seat before buying it, most seats are very small and uncomfortable. I know they are expensive but the Sparco Evo series and Racetech seats and some of the best you can get and FIA approved.

-Jeff

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
VooDoo;1453420 said:
First of all. Thanks for everyones input.

Yea its sinking in.

I don't think that cause its a $300.00 seat its is trash. I can get a true race seat for about $200. And it be approved for NHRA. The rules don't state what seats are legal just that they have to be secure with a back brace against the cross bar on the cage. I have seen stock seats in really fast cars. To think that a 20 yr old design is better than a highly credited seat manufacture on a Modern design don't really make sense. I AGREE with everyone that don't buy BUBBA brand and don't go cheap (off brand). I know seats are not just seats. Why would you buy seats based on price over quality.

Just curious I.J what brand seat was that. Looks stock. Bet that was one hell of a recovery. Glad to see your still here.
Factory Z seat with a harness hole cut in it and retrimmed, the "stupid" thing was I was 100% going to build a large load plate/brace back to the tower cage member but just hadn't got around to it......

Thanks I'm glad to be here :D

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Seeing how we are on the topic, what about Scat Procar seats? I have seen them in a few of my friends cars (one being a mid to high 10s mustang) and they do make brackets for the MKIII. I do not see anything on summit about them being certified, and the price is pretty low for a race seat, but I am worried if they will fold on you, or if they will hold up and do their job.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
get a fixed back and get a seat back brace.

the seat back back is super important and is what IJ is talking about. I dont care what kind of racing your are doing drag or road a seat back brace is a must even for fiberglass FIA seats

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
IJ.;1453818 said:
Factory Z seat with a harness hole cut in it and retrimmed, the "stupid" thing was I was 100% going to build a large load plate/brace back to the tower cage member but just hadn't got around to it......

Thanks I'm glad to be here :D

Yea procrastination is the Bitch that sneaks up on you and makes you say man I shoulda.

Well I ordered fixed back. Will be gong 5-point. Along with a back plate installed. The seats come with a threaded mounting location for it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
<nodding> it was on my list of "todo" things....

I'd broken a CV joint adaptor in the rear end the night before and made a new one so that run was testing for vibration.....there was none.

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
Mine are fixed... and tied into the cage!!!! I don't want to go anywhere when the sh@t hits the fan.

p1454006_1.jpg

<edit IJ fixed pic>

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
spiller;1454300 said:
doesnt that create a weak point within the roll cage?

yes and no. since he does drag racing he is not really gearing his cage for a full on side impact like road race cages are. would a welding in doorbar be safer? yes but there is always a trade off. in this case he wanted to not have to climb in to his car like a monkey like i do. it should be perfectly ok as long as a side impact isnt to fast. you would never see that on a road race car but its an entirely different situation.

TUN can you get some pictures of how the seat is attached to the cage please

also please follow this guide for harness mounting and angles. bad angles can break even the best seats and get you hurt or worse

http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2009_Competition_Instructions.pdf

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I compromised in my Z car and put a kink in my door bar to make it easier to get in/out, this made it in between a swing out and a straight bar in strength and it stood up well in the accident.

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
Enraged;1454621 said:
can you completely remove a swingout? if so, it would be nice to be able to remove it when you aren't racing.

yes you can ... which is why I opted for swing outs as my car is still a "street car" :nono:

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
IJ.;1454573 said:
I compromised in my Z car and put a kink in my door bar to make it easier to get in/out, this made it in between a swing out and a straight bar in strength and it stood up well in the accident.
what actually happened? road rally crash?