Seat debate. Fixed or reclining safty?

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
O.K so I know there are alot of threads on seats. After looking all over and thinking about my options I am now trying to decide either fixed or reclining. I have read about both. Guys on here have said that reclining seats are not safe for racing. It just has to be legal at the drag strip. This car will be a weekend trailer drag car and an occasional cruise here and there. NOT a daily driver.

Looking to get either Corbeau A4 with the 5 point slot. OR Corbeau FORZA or FX1pro.

Will the reclining seats be race safe?
This car will have an 8-point cage swing out door bars, and should be in the 10,s (fingers crossed)

Looking for some advise.

Thanks Larry

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
i know that in co they require fixed seats anything faster then 12s at least that was when i had the stang so idk they might have changed this

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
Enraged;1452704 said:
if you are the only driver, might as well hard mount a fixed seat in the best driving position for yourself.

This is true. Noone else is going to be behind the wheel.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I like to adjust my seat for the type of driving I am doing. I have hated all the fixed seats I have ever sat in. I love the factory seats.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
They've got adjustable racing seats with 5-point harness capability for hard driving. They cost more but you get the proper adjustment you want and the protection you need. If I could afford them, I'd get adjustable racers as well.

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
The A4's offer the slot for a 5 point. I am strongly considering these over the fixed. I will be buying them this week.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Broke my back in 6 places back in 92 when a seat failed......

datto33.jpg

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
Corbeau Forza = ~$250
Sparco Evo3 = ~$770

I would gladly pay $520 to save my life/prevent major injuries like IJ mentions.

Hell, if you can't afford that, Sparco even has a steel seat that is FIA certified for $320

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Poodles;1452610 said:
Hey, check rule book for whatever racing you're doing.

Poodles;1452999 said:
Check the rules before spending a dime...

A few more posts and you can post it on page 3 again!

IJ.;1452871 said:
Broke my back in 6 places back in 92 after a seat failed......

Why'd you do that?

I'd go fixed, the cars a race car and I'm sure theres some weight savings in fixed vs reclining.

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
First of all. Thanks for everyones input.

Yea its sinking in.

I don't think that cause its a $300.00 seat its is trash. I can get a true race seat for about $200. And it be approved for NHRA. The rules don't state what seats are legal just that they have to be secure with a back brace against the cross bar on the cage. I have seen stock seats in really fast cars. To think that a 20 yr old design is better than a highly credited seat manufacture on a Modern design don't really make sense. I AGREE with everyone that don't buy BUBBA brand and don't go cheap (off brand). I know seats are not just seats. Why would you buy seats based on price over quality.

Just curious I.J what brand seat was that. Looks stock. Bet that was one hell of a recovery. Glad to see your still here.

Last edited:

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Check the NHRA rule book. They make all the safety guidelines for race tracks. Sure would suck to buy an adjustable seat and a fixed one is mandatory for your time. Might check the rulings for cages as well. You have to have specifically built cages for the time you run as well. Faster you go, more cage you have to have.