Sears won't warranty craftsman torque wrench?!?

Mr.Forks

AnotherFoolJoe
Jun 8, 2009
nyc
www.hoonperformance.com
for shits and giggles, I went back to the first sears that I went to to try to turn it in again after I posted the pictures this afternoon. This time there was a different 'Head of the department' and different sales associates. Unfortunately the results were nearly the same. After asking for an explanation of the limited lifetime warranty from the manager and not receiving one, she called corporate or upper management or whomever and asked for them to send her a copy of the policy via email, after waiting for 45 minutes she still had not received an email I left, with her promise that she would call me personally when she received the email.

At this point, I'm not going to buy craftsman tools ever again, but I'm stuck on getting a replacement torque wrench. If I have to write hand written letters, call the corporate offices everyday, email everyone from sears, I will do what it takes to be a satisfied customer.

(side note: this set of sales associates and manager was actually quite helpful, polite, and patient. If it would have been them in the first place that told me my wrench wasn't warrantied I probably would have just bought another one on the spot.)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I have always known that sears doesn't warranty their torque wrenches for life, only 90 days or a year. :dunno:

They've always been good to me, replacing really old wrenches with newer version counterparts.

I'm not aware of any of the high quality companies that offer lifetime warranties *on torque wrenches*

Last edited:

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
Thought for sure this would have come up by not, but i guess not.

I worked in Lawn and Garden for a year, and dealt with warranty exchanges daily, and cross sailed into Hardware/Tools daily.

ALL Craftsman Hand tools without electronics have lifetime warranties. Ratchets, Wrenches, Screwdrivers, etc.

ALL Torque wrenches have 90 days.

ONLY Torque wrenches with the Physical measurement bar(Beam Wrenches) are lifetime:
00944978000-1

ALL Digitorques and TurnTorques are only 90 days.

HOWEVER, If you are smart, you can have a Lifetime Digitorque or TurnTorques.

The Loophole?

Keep it looking spotless, and dont bring in your receipt. Tell them your dad bought it for you two months ago.

They will attempt to look up the receipt. Simply plan ahead and tell them he doesnt have a credit or debit card. Do not give them his phone number.

Feel free to PM me for any more advice, loopholes, and tips.

Mr.Forks

AnotherFoolJoe
Jun 8, 2009
nyc
www.hoonperformance.com
Mondo;1405481 said:
Keep it looking spotless, and dont bring in your receipt. Tell them your dad bought it for you two months ago.

They will attempt to look up the receipt. Simply plan ahead and tell them he doesnt have a credit or debit card. Do not give them his phone number.

Feel free to PM me for any more advice, loopholes, and tips.

unfortunately, that's not an option for me,
My torque wrench is at least 10 years old, most likely more I remember using it when I bought my first truck, and I think that's what i purchased it to work on.
They couldn't even find the part number on their computer.

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
Mr.Forks;1405529 said:
unfortunately, that's not an option for me,
My torque wrench is at least 10 years old, most likely more I remember using it when I bought my first truck, and I think that's what i purchased it to work on.
They couldn't even find the part number on their computer.

Well..

Now you know. lol

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Mondo;1405596 said:
Well..

Now you know. lol

Mondo, is the 90 days replacement only, or can you get a refund, provided you have a reciept. the window for my wrench (where you can look in to see the number is like cracked, cloudy on the inside not external damage) I was just thinking i could buy a new one then return the old one a few weeks later.

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
lewis15498;1405608 said:
Mondo, is the 90 days replacement only, or can you get a refund, provided you have a reciept. the window for my wrench (where you can look in to see the number is like cracked, cloudy on the inside not external damage) I was just thinking i could buy a new one then return the old one a few weeks later.

Refund with a receipt yes. If you bitch enough, without a receipt, but on a gift card.

Or they can look it up if you paid with card.

I would just get a swap for a new one, since its under 90 days, and then go back later and return it, just to save the headache. Obviously make sure its the exact same one. The SKU numbers are branded on it somewhere.

Going to be a 5 digit number.

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
Mondo;1405696 said:
Refund with a receipt yes. If you bitch enough, without a receipt, but on a gift card.

Or they can look it up if you paid with card.

I would just get a swap for a new one, since its under 90 days, and then go back later and return it, just to save the headache. Obviously make sure its the exact same one. The SKU numbers are branded on it somewhere.

Going to be a 5 digit number.

Nice! Thanks mondo!

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
NP, I should start a thread....

"How to cheat the system and find loop holes"

Worked at walmart for 2 years at the service desk also......

If you bitch enough about something and call a manager up, they will give you a $10 gift card, lol.

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
Mondo;1405877 said:
NP, I should start a thread....

"How to cheat the system and find loop holes"

Worked at walmart for 2 years at the service desk also......

If you bitch enough about something and call a manager up, they will give you a $10 gift card, lol.

lol. A couple years ago, i burried, and i mean burried a truck in the mud. 4 other people got stuck trying to get me out. Solution: went to 24hr walmart (was middle of night) Bought 6 30ft tow straps, and some else pulled everyone out from a nearby parking lot. Hosed them off a little but they were still covered in mud. Brought them back and said they were defective and stretched. got all my $$ back.

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
lewis15498;1405889 said:
lol. A couple years ago, i burried, and i mean burried a truck in the mud. 4 other people got stuck trying to get me out. Solution: went to 24hr walmart (was middle of night) Bought 6 30ft tow straps, and some else pulled everyone out from a nearby parking lot. Hosed them off a little but they were still covered in mud. Brought them back and said they were defective and stretched. got all my $$ back.

Oh yea, i rent shit all the time, lol.

Including my 2 year old sound card. Bought a new one, swapped the serial number stickers, and returned the bad one.

suprachick22

Aug 1, 2009
colorado
first of all dose anyone on here work for sears? because you are all wrong lol. idk what sears you are going to but the torque wrenches are covered 100% for the ones that are three years or older. once you replace it it is only covered for one year NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS TO IT!!!!!!!!!!!! you may ask how i know this well its because i work at sears and i am a manger of the hardlines department ie i know the policies. i'd say if you lived anywhere around me i would follow policies and give you a new one. i have many ways of going around these so called policies :icon_bigg

Mr.Forks

AnotherFoolJoe
Jun 8, 2009
nyc
www.hoonperformance.com
suprachick22;1406146 said:
first of all dose anyone on here work for sears? because you are all wrong lol. idk what sears you are going to but the torque wrenches are covered 100% for the ones that are three years or older. once you replace it it is only covered for one year NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS TO IT!!!!!!!!!!!! you may ask how i know this well its because i work at sears and i am a manger of the hardlines department ie i know the policies. i'd say if you lived anywhere around me i would follow policies and give you a new one. i have many ways of going around these so called policies :icon_bigg

If you could offer me some advice, I'd appreciate it.
I've gotten nowhere with customer service, and going to my local store is an even greater effort in futility.
Customer service tells me its covered, the store wont do it
It's like being stuck in a circle of stupid.

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
suprachick22;1406146 said:

Then your store has the loosest policies ever. Even 3 year old Torques, if they are not the bar/beam style then its not lifetime. My store only covered what i mentioned before.

suprachick22

Aug 1, 2009
colorado
Mondo;1406889 said:
Then your store has the loosest policies ever. Even 3 year old Torques, if they are not the bar/beam style then its not lifetime. My store only covered what i mentioned before.

actually no. we are very strickt on our policies. but if you know craftsman warrienties like i do they are covered, 100% but not the new one. they were even stated on the packaging. but what do i know im only a manager who's worked in tools for a long ass time.

Mr.Forks

AnotherFoolJoe
Jun 8, 2009
nyc
www.hoonperformance.com
suprachick22;1408475 said:
actually no. we are very strickt on our policies. but if you know craftsman warrienties like i do they are covered, 100% but not the new one. they were even stated on the packaging. but what do i know im only a manager who's worked in tools for a long ass time.

too bad your in Colorado, could use you in my sears