Sears won't warranty craftsman torque wrench?!?

Mr.Forks

AnotherFoolJoe
Jun 8, 2009
nyc
www.hoonperformance.com
So, I experienced gravity today. While helping my friend assemble a spray booth, I dropped my craftsman torque wrench. It hit the floor, cracking the plastic handle (the part that sets the torque) and splitting the locking plastic piece.
no biggie I thought, it's a craftsman, it was bought because it has a lifetime warranty.
Apparently sears doesn't agree.
They claim to not cover torque wrenches, even though their warranty disclaimer states that they cover the wrench, but not the calibration. After speaking to SEVERAL managers of the tools dept, showing them where in their warranty where it states that they DO cover the wrench- I was told no, I'm reading it wrong, it only covers ratchets and wrenches and hammers. Then then had the gall to tell me that they could take my torque wrench, and give me a $10 gift card to put to another one...
I'm sure this isn't the sears policy, I've already called the customer number and made a complaint. Tomorrow I'm going to drive to a different sears and try again.
If its the same shenanigans there, I'm gonna melt down all my craftsman tools and make a lamp or a paperweight or a door stop.
This has been my rant

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Pretty sure its policy they don't cover it.

Its semantics, but I don't think a torque wrench is a "Hand Tool" which is what the lifetime warranty applies too.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yeah its pretty common for companies not to cover tq wrenches. Hell even my snap-on tq wrench isn't a full "do anything you want to it" warranty. Don't drop your wrench!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Torque wrench calibration is up too you....you dropped it so it's not craftsmens fault! There warrent covers manufacturer defects...so if the wrench broke while torquing a bolt then they cover it.

Of I melt my wrenches with a torche then they won't cover it...makes sense to me!

Mr.Forks

AnotherFoolJoe
Jun 8, 2009
nyc
www.hoonperformance.com
to counter the arguments, yes it is my fault.
But im not asking them to recalibrate the tool, im asking them to replace it
after looking i found exactly what i was show in the store, albeit in digital format.
here
*CRAFTSMAN mechanics tools & CRAFTSMAN hand tools include: Sockets, Wrenches, Wrench sets, Hex wrenches, Ratchet wrench handles, Micro adjustable torque wrenches ( not including calibration), Pipe wrenches, Hammers, Screwdrivers, Pliers, Cutters, Scroll and Metal saws (except saw blades), Hand drills, Hand saws, Squares, Levels, Drift punch and drive punch sets, Shears are covered by the Craftsman lifetime warranty.

Craftsman Tools not covered by the lifetime warranty include: Micro-adjustable torque wrench calibration, Hand tools cutting edges, Portable electric tools, Bench and Stationary tools, Battery operated tools, Precision measuring tools.

The following brand name tools are not covered by the Craftsman warranty: Companion, Estwing, Fuller, Grey & Footprint, Stanley, DeWalt, Skil, Bosch, Delta, Makita, Black and Decker.

the calibration isn't covered, the fact the plastic is damage is why I want it replaced, nothing to do with how its calibrated

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
go to another store...

Print this out to incase they give you lip.

David Figler the VP/GMM said:
Subject: Craftsman Hand Tool Lifetime Warranty

There have been several news articles and emails regarding customers being denied Craftsman Hand Tool exchanges for reasons that are not part of the warranty. We've had specific complaints of denied exchanges based on:

- Tools having rust on them

- A 3 Piece per day limit on exchanges

These are NOT valid reasons for denying our customers their right to exchange their Craftsman Tools under the Lifetime Warranty.

The warranty states: "If for any reason your Craftsman hand tool ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, return it to any Sears store or other Craftsman outlet in the United States for free repair or replacement. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state."

Our Craftsman Hand Tool Lifetime Warranty is one of the most important competitive advantages we have in the market. It is crucial that we ensure all of our sales associates are trained to understand all the hand tools that are covered under this warranty.

taken from

http://consumerist.com/5183468/

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Regardless of the fact that you broke it, the way the warranty reads they have to repair or replace. Inversely a potential problem could include people intentionally breaking tq wrenches b/c they dont want to pay for calibration.

Mr.Forks

AnotherFoolJoe
Jun 8, 2009
nyc
www.hoonperformance.com
lewis15498;1400145 said:
I've been meaning to get mine calibrated, its one of those craftsman digitorque.

Where do i go? Guys at sears had no idea.

My local snap on vendor does the calibrations, I'm not sure if he sends them out or not, but last time I gave him my wrench he had it back to me the next week, costs $15 for a beam type one and $35 for the click type.

Tomorrow I'm off to a different store armed with that printout, a copy of their warranty and a positive attitude.
If that doesn't work, I'll have paperweights for sale monday

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Mr.Forks;1400165 said:
My local snap on vendor does the calibrations, I'm not sure if he sends them out or not, but last time I gave him my wrench he had it back to me the next week, costs $15 for a beam type one and $35 for the click type.

Tomorrow I'm off to a different store armed with that printout, a copy of their warranty and a positive attitude.
If that doesn't work, I'll have paperweights for sale monday

I see. Hopefully that sears doesnt pull any bs.

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
I know this is like 4 days old, and I hope thats not too old.

But, when I bought my craftsman torque wrench it came with a little piece of paper inside the box that said that it was a limited warranty against factory defects only, not breakage due to misuse or accidents.

I can't remember exactly the wording, but I'm positive it was along those lines because I walked back into the sears and showed the guy the paper and asked him about it, and he confirmed that it was correct.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
meh. Try a different store.

The only thing I've ever been given grief about was a Craftsman floor jack because it started being teh suck after 11 months of hard use and the whole one year warranty thing. So I ordered a new one through them, told them my sob story and they said they didn't have one in stock to give me even if they could so I got the guy to say he'd get me one if he had one in stock, I told him my name and that I'd like to switch jacks. lol

Every other store it's been 'OK, just go grab what you need'.

enawazh

May 8, 2007
long beach
WOW.

Autozone replaced my "Great Neck" TQ wrench no questions asked.

I say check another store. Sometimes managers just come up with crap.

Mr.Forks

AnotherFoolJoe
Jun 8, 2009
nyc
www.hoonperformance.com
Suprapowaz!(2);1402685 said:
Go to a different store. Pics of damaged wrench and spray booth. I wanna see. :)

tried a diffrent sears, i was given a form to fill out, and told that it takes a few weeks for a replacement :-\
pics are from my phone, you cant see the crack in the black handle, but you can see the locking ring's new feature that allows it to be useless. if you look carefully you can see the crack on the locking ring.
wrench.jpg

spray booth is a team blowtherm concept 1000
booth1.jpg

booth2.jpg

booth3.jpg

finished putting up the ceiling on Saturday, now we have to wire the lights for it, cut a hole in the roof for the vent, and then cut a door into the wall to get cars in, along with some other misc things (filters, recoat the interior to protect from overspray, silicon up any air leaks etc. )

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
Even if they do replace it, it will probably be a refurbish. I stopped buying craftsman years ago when I got a refurbished 3/4" and 1/2" ratchet handed to me. They never clicked right and the smaller one broke after a few uses.
To tell you the truth Duralast from AZ has a don't ask don't tell replacement policy. You get a new one but I've yet to break any thing of there's. I use to work there and know of the policy.