Saved from the crusher

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
I'm about halfway finished with the engine now. Hopefully it will be finished by this weekend.

Shiny new pistons. The bores were messed up so I had it bored out ordered some new oversize pistons.

Sparkly clean rotating assembly.
`

Molded cover to revamp my nasty dash.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
No idea what I'm going to sell it for yet. I want to fix an oil leak and put a new timing belt in it first. I'll probably post it in the FS section here first, though, since I want it to go to a good home.

Tanya;1491314 said:

I know. I don't want to sell it but I'm getting married this summer and I have to make some cuts to the fleet.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
ZOMBIE THREAD! Well I finally got the stubborn thing started. I finished the engine months ago and got it in only to have nothing happen when I turn the key. Electrical problems, f***! So I broke out the multimeter and started tracing wires. Months later I get it to start on it's own. What was wrong, you might ask? Well let me think....

Fried fusible link
two seized injectors
bad fuel pump
shorted injector clip
bad ignition control module
butchered wiring under the dash
replacement fuel pump also went bad

As you might imagine after all that work I was pretty stoked when it started. My neighbors think I'm weird(er) now because I was dancing in my driveway but I don't care, I have a Z! Pics to come.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
congrats, with a list of problems like that I bet you thought to yourself "so that's why it was in the junkyard in the first place!"

either way, can't wait for pics.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Sorry about the delay. Guess it wasn't as done as I thought, lol. Went to pull it out of the garage and it stalled immediately, huge cloud of black smoke. Broke out the multimeter again and after checking literally every circuit in the EFI system both at the sensor and at the ECU found the my Cylinder head temperature sensor wasn't giving a reading. Traced it to a bad connection and voila! Took her for a test drive this morning. She's still not quite 100% but she's still a lot of fun and almost ready to hit the road full time. Some cell phone pics since I can't seem to find my camera.

I'll get some better ones tomorrow when I can pull it out into the street.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Drove it to work today and had the exhaust repaired. Sounds nice, drives nice. Quite a bit peppier than I was expecting! I'm replacing a fender so no pics yet.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
I'm baaaack....

Well the z and i have been through a lot and we're going through even more now. My motor died under mysterious circumstances last year preventing me from completing my turbo swap. It's mechanically fine which means it's yet another electrical failure. The car is full of electrical issues making it very jnreliable. So I'm getting rid of the whole Nissan electronics problem by swapping in a 7mgte. I mentioned this before my last disappearance but have actually been working on it since.

The plan:
Rebuilt 7mgte
57 trim
Lexus AFM
550cc injectors
FMIC
R154
Custom motor mounts
Custom driveshaft
R200 diff from 300zx
Fiberglass hood
Three point strut brace for the front
Suspension?

The motor is already half assembled and i have everything except the mounts and driveshaft. I had to put the project on hold since my son was born a month ago but now that things are calming down I want to start working on it again. It was a fun car to drive when it was running, I'm looking forward to getting it back on the road.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
The last Z I rode in with a 7m was Andy (ARZ)'s 240, it dyno'd 486whp that year on a similar setup, and holy ballsacks... It was so stupidly fast that I'm still kinda ruined on my perception of what "fast" is.

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
te72;1883628 said:
The last Z I rode in with a 7m was Andy (ARZ)'s 240, it dyno'd 486whp that year on a similar setup, and holy ballsacks... It was so stupidly fast that I'm still kinda ruined on my perception of what "fast" is.

Was it fun?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
T3rril79;1883643 said:
Was it fun?
Did I shit my pants when riding in it? Errr... don't tell Andy. ;)

That thing was a blast. Lot more car than I could have handled at that time (would probably still be a handful), like I said, it ruined what I thought "fast" was. To put it another way, he had no trouble breaking 275 Kuhmo R-comps free at 70+mph. That 600 class crotch rocket didn't know what he was playing with haha!