Saved from the crusher

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Well I accidentally bought a 280ZX. I went to the junkyard with a friend to help him pull a hatch for his Z31 and we wandered all over looking for one. Turns out a Z31 was the only Japanese sports car they didn't have that day. As we searched I stumbled across an 82 280ZX that was remarkably complete and in good shape. I searched all over the yard but kept coming back to that Z. Even though I already have a pair of Supras I couldn't resist and picked it up for $700.

I'm planning on restoring it and converting it to turbo. What does everyone think?

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Congrats on the find. Could be a very nice sleeper car. I've been looking for an 81-83 280zx Turbo donor car for my 1975 280z so I can get started on my turbo swap.

The best site for all your conversion info will be http://hybridz.org/. Very informative site and everything and anything that has been done is there. Just search.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Wow very nice pick up. Old school Japanese muscle :love:

Reminds of the ps2 game tokyo xtreme racer zero final car.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
You sir, are awesome.

LOVE the 280zxs, I had a rust bucket white one for a bit.

I say keep the L28, but stroke it out. Find an L28DE crankshaft and bring her to 3.0 liters of fun. Some of a the guys on the Z boards have been able to squeeze 250whp out of the strokers n/a.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Thanks for all the comments. Body has almost no rust, literally just one spot that is easy to fix. I'm thinking about keeping the L28 and scrounging up a turbo conversion. Since there was a factory turbo version it shouldn't be that difficult to come up with the parts.

I have always wanted a Z. After watching the junkyard crush a 77 Celica and a 79 Supra I'm stoked that I finally managed to save something.