saga of the MkI restoration/build

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
HellsLegion said:
I was hoping you just forgot about it!

Driver side kick panel? Thats odd.

yeah...apparently if your clutch cylinder decides to leak into the cabin, your ECU is the first thing to get hit :(

needless to say it'll be above the glovebox when I redo the wiring.

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
i'll make it fit above it, or at least in it...there isn't much room in there though.

i'll snap some pics of the ECU and it's odd placement too...it's not like it's anything different from every other toyota ECU though

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
did some poking around for upgrades and such...kind of relieved there's quite a bit that's interchangeable between the MkII, RA40 celica, and the MkI.

apparently there's quite a bit of stuff available for the MkI suspension wise...especially since it seems RA40 celica suspension swaps right in.

Here's the link for the koni's one guy is running on the front: http://www.autocarparts.com/part/242/4457/
And the reds he's running on the back: http://www.classicgarage.com/28-1131.html

if not MkII strut cartriges fit into the MkI assemblies as well.

there's a company in australia called superpro that makes poly bushings as well, and they don't seem to be priced awfully high either. I've just got to get them here.

whiteline makes an adjustable panhard rod for $75, and F&R swaybars for the RA40 for $110 a piece...both available from 935 motorsports

from what I've been told 4 lug MkII brakes are a direct swap to the MkI, but I'm still not sure about that....would be nice though, having that much braking power.

Allan_MA70

Banned
May 1, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
use the MA61 front strut assy should give you some neg camber up front! i think you can get 5 stud starion hubs for the front and find an old rn40 hi-lux rear diff and get the brackets swaped and use ma70 brakes on the back and even front if your creative!

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
pics as promised!

this is the dash in all of it's torn apart glory, instead of one giant console it's just individual components with the tach and speedo together:

here's the components sitting in the passenger seat, my bench is full of stuff...i need to dust these guys off:

the 7M ECU:

glovebox area, where the ECU will go:

...this might help a bit:

the MkI ECU:

and for shits and giggles...new carpet vs. old carpet:

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
this is gonna be a sweet resto job! this car is definately a classic! im glad you are bringing her back from the dead and livening her up a bit with a 7m :)

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Is it done yet?????????:icon_bigg

I love this rebuild.......................................lol

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
update!!!

i've talked with another member here, and I'll probably be getting some good condition body parts by winter...just need to scrounge up some money, and then even more for shipping...and then get around to putting it all together.

also, I MAY..and that's a big MAY, be going with a 6M-GE instead of the 7M-GE per that same member's suggestion. Power ratings are similar, and there isn't a huge mess involved with wiring either. May not look as cool, but I'm willing to sacrafice looks for headache.

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
well...the biggest one is that it's on the backburner until spring. I've got another project going right now too, as well as 2 jobs that eat up 90% of my time.

once spring hits and I can loose this other job I'll probably be out there sanding away every day.

until then, don't expect much :(

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
87supraman said:
A guy I know here in tucson did a 7m swap into a MkI, it hauls, does 14's on the 1/4

on a stock GTE???

i know a guy on CS who ran 12.9 with a stock GTE and some wheel hop.

oh, and I'm also considering a 1G-GTE....just to be different...haha.