saga of the MkI restoration/build

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
2.0L of twin turbo fury!

plus it's like 1700 for a clip...not bad if you ask me. Now I just need to get my arse down to Arizona so I can get started on this without much interruption.

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
oscolivar1 said:
i wanna see an update and more pics....if ne are new.
have u decided on what engine?

as said, I'm trying to focus on other things at the present time...I've got about $7000 wrapped up in a Z31 right now, and I'm trying to get it done ASAP so I can start in on my other projects, like the MkI and an LS'd supra. Really, noting's going to happen to it for at least a year, as I also plan on moving to pheonix towards the end of summer.

and I'm pretty sure I want the 1G-GTE for it, just to be REALLY friggin different and still keep installation simple...plus it'll still be fairly fast.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
If you're gonna go with a turbo get a 1JZ. That'd be sweet, cheaper than the 2JZ, which would be the ultimate in an MkI, and produce way more power than a G series engine. I don't understand what the point of a 1G-GTE engine SWAP is as it only has 210 HP and is clearly pointless. (I may be wrong here) The 1GGTE wasn't even in America, so good luck getting parts. With small displacement, and, after a little searching it looks like aftermarket support is limited, doesn't look like this engine has much potential. I haven't seen a 1JZ swapped MkI, 2J & 7M have both been done. 1JZs have more aftermarket support, more information, more power. Why use a G series? I'm just curious, not trying to be critical.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
well 1g-gte is different, thats why he is going the route.
But putting a 1g-gte in an MK1 would be bad ass tho, its hell of a lot lighter than the Mk3. I think the MK1 is like 2800ish Lbs

so the 1g would really make that car move.

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
oscolivar1 said:
well 1g-gte is different, thats why he is going the route.
But putting a 1g-gte in an MK1 would be bad ass tho, its hell of a lot lighter than the Mk3. I think the MK1 is like 2800ish Lbs

so the 1g would really make that car move.

exactly!

I'm not building the MkI for power, I'm building it to stand out. There's almost no aftermarket support for the MKI, almost everything has to be pirated off of the RA celica or the MkII for some things. I'm going for something that I can have a good time driving, but at the same time be able to take it to a car show and be told "hey, nice car!". Overall I just want a car to cruise around in, not put many miles on, and feel like I'm living in 1981.

The 1G-GTE was a joke at first, but the more I thought about it the more I thought "hey, that would actually be pretty badass". Plus, it won't have enough torque to play hopscotch with the wheels unlike it's JZ and M series counterparts. The fact the car weighs so little in comparison to the MkIII and even the MkII really counteracts the lack of power the 1G posesses.

...man, all this talking about it makes me want to go out and do something with it.

HellsLegion said:
Lets see your Z~

the build thread from another forum

me262

erm, reading your other post on azsupra. id really watch your $$ with liebee (he THINKS he can build an engine, but ive got tons of pics of blown engines, bent valves, people who he ripped off........ ive got to deal with the 250 and 450f engines hes screwed up at least 3 times a week.
better to know who your dealing with... in fact ill tell you a few people to talk to (pm me) who will tell you what he does with the money you pay him.. im not afraid of him hearing what i think either. hes a hack

just saying, make sure you SEE that there are new parts being put in. i know a few racers here that took in parts to have an engine built for the stock cars. who got engines back without the parts they thought in them (stock pistons were in a engine that the guy baught wiseco and engle rods that turned into stock rods somehow..........)

he told robert the ti valves that were in the rsx head i sold him were bad, kept them and the ferrea springs/retainers and put stock back in. said they were burnt.....cept they had never been run, robert didnt know.

ask dustin at honda why he had his cyl sent to la sleeve this time for his bigbore quad after they bored his other one offset...then wouldnt admit it

i guess its all good tho, ive got them talked in to gettin me a boring bar and engine lathe at work so i can do precision work myself

liebee precision machine...........pfft i got more precision with a hand drill.........

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Well, a year and a half later, and I know the current status of this car. It's sitting in his old barn up here in the frozen north. I really want to do this car justice, and between myself and a couple other local Toyota nuts, we want to get it going, but it probably won't be until sometime next year.

Might stop by and see if it fires up. Never even tried, remember? The battery was a side terminal type, and we didn't have a spare (or the money for one) at the time. The battery I bought for my Celica has both types... I'm thinking we should give that 5m a chance, who knows, it might be just fine? :p